Forum Discussion

dfeagin
New Contributor
6 months ago
Solved

Query regarding the SOAP UI open source and Java SE license

The SOAP UI open source version has been used by us for many years. The infrastructure group is evaluating the use of Java SE on each machine to avoid any Oracle license issues. Please let me know if we are responsible for the JRE that is bundled with SoapUI or if that is covered by SMARTBEAR since it is bundled with it.

• 5.4.0 is quite old version. Here is some release history article: https://www.soapui.org/downloads/latest-release/release-history/

It says for 5.4.0 following: ”SoapUI now uses Java 1.8.”. SoapUI 5.6.0 has following mention: ”Support for openJDK 12”

So the switch from Oracle Java 8 implementation to OpenJDK happened in 5.6.0 version on 2020. 

I think Oracle renewed its licensing politics after JDK 11 which lead many organizations to move to OpenJDK implementations.

4 Replies

JuZ0
    Contributor

Is not SoapUI bundled with OpenJDK? Therefore no Oracle licensing worries.

dfeagin
      New Contributor

Here is what our IT department had to say about the answer above:

If we look at the Java.exe located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.4.0\jre\bin\    in the file description it indicates Java™   which I take to be Oracles Java trademark.   Therefore, I do not think it is OpenJDK

One thing in our favor is that Most are Under version 8.0.202 which was free of licensing… however, since this comes built into a vendor supplied application, did the vendor have re-distribution rights?

JuZ0
    Contributor

5.4.0 is quite old version. Here is some release history article: https://www.soapui.org/downloads/latest-release/release-history/

It says for 5.4.0 following: ”SoapUI now uses Java 1.8.”. SoapUI 5.6.0 has following mention: ”Support for openJDK 12”

So the switch from Oracle Java 8 implementation to OpenJDK happened in 5.6.0 version on 2020. 

I think Oracle renewed its licensing politics after JDK 11 which lead many organizations to move to OpenJDK implementations.

dfeagin
    New Contributor

I ended up uninstalling all older versions and installed the latest version and that resolved the licensing issue for us. Thanks!