Forum Discussion

erdemucuncu
New Contributor
10 years ago

Java swing problem

I've executed some tests designed on Test Complete 9 and 10. The tested application was written by JAVA.  I design the tests without any problem using both append to text method or on screen action method. For example, test complete gives a name to dialog box to dialogbox1. When the tests starts running, the dialogbox name may be changed during the runtime. Its not only for the dialogboxes, this situation is also valid for other screen components like combobox, textfields. Since the name of the components may be changed, test complete could not find the screen component. Is the problem being caused of the desing of the software being tested or caused of  Test Complete? I think that the name of the componens are renegareted in each test run. Have you encountered this problem before ? If yes, how did you solve to fix this problem ?

2 Replies

• I want t expand the example to make you undertand the problem. I get the text field values of the textfields on a dialog screen on the tested application written by java and write them to .csv file. Sometimes, test complete does not get the text field value because it did not recognize the name of the text field. Sometimes, I can get the values of the fields and write them to .csv file succesfully. Another example is that, tab names are changed tests to tests, combobox names are also. Is this because the desing of the tested application or test complete? 

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Erdem,

It is not easy to say definitely without seen your actual application, but I am 99% sure that the problem is in how your tested application is designed. Most probably it uses dynamic identifiers and that is why TestComplete has problems to identify the objects.

I would recommend you to watch the Creating Reliable Tests For Dynamic Objects with Name Mapping webinar (http://support.smartbear.com/support/screencasts/testcomplete/reliable-tests-for-dynamic-objects/). Hope it will help.