Issues with TestComplete 15.51 playing back existing tests that run fine on TC 15.50
We tried upgrading from TestComplete 15.50 to TestComplete 15.51 on April 27th while on Chrome 112. We immediately had issues with TestComplete being unable to run our existing tests. We couldn't even get the login test to work. We tried other tests as well with the same result. We had to roll back to 15.50. As soon as we did that everything started working again as it had before. Has anyone else had this issue with TC 15.51?
We're also concerned about the Chrome 113 issue. If that issue is resolved in a new release of TC but this issue is still not fixed, we will not be able to upgrade to the newest version of TC to resolve that issue.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Apologies for not getting to you sooner, however since then we have addressed this issue. I suggest updating TestComplete to the latest version.
@gabedemoura Thank you for replying. I have tried updating to the latest version of TestComplete. Specifically, I have tried:
- TC 15.51.4
- TC 15.51.18
- TC 15.51.26
All three versions do not work for me. The latest version of TestComplete that works for me is 15.50.3.
TC 15.51.30 has been released and contains the fixes needed to resolve this issue. We are no longer experiencing the issue reported at the top of this thread after upgrading to this version.