Forum Discussion

forrestaustin
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Is there a way to slow down TestComplete during an execution of a test for demo purposes?

I am currently using TestComplete for .NET desktop applications. I would like to demo a run for my group, but when I run the test it goes to fast to get a good look at everything. Is there a way I could slow down a test for demo purposes?

• Well, two things:

1) If it's running that fast, I question whether or not you have appropriate detection logic in the proper places, waiting for windows, buttons, etc., to exist/be enabled/be visible before attempting to interact.  It's a best practice to do these kinds of checks before interacting with components in the off chance that something might NOT be ready for interaction.  This could have the effect of "slowing" down the test.

2) Under Tools | Current Project Properties | Playback, there's an action that says "Delay between events, ms".  This is, by default, set to 50 ms.  If you increase this, it will slow down playback.  However, it is a setting within the project so, if you don't switch it back, this will slow down your test runs going forward.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, two things:

1) If it's running that fast, I question whether or not you have appropriate detection logic in the proper places, waiting for windows, buttons, etc., to exist/be enabled/be visible before attempting to interact.  It's a best practice to do these kinds of checks before interacting with components in the off chance that something might NOT be ready for interaction.  This could have the effect of "slowing" down the test.

2) Under Tools | Current Project Properties | Playback, there's an action that says "Delay between events, ms".  This is, by default, set to 50 ms.  If you increase this, it will slow down playback.  However, it is a setting within the project so, if you don't switch it back, this will slow down your test runs going forward.

forrestaustin
      Contributor

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. It's not running too fast that the eye can't see its just that I would like to slow it down while I talk over it.