Forum Discussion

amiller_1
New Contributor
15 years ago

Importing a word file as a manual test

Hello,

I'm having a hard time trying to import a word file that has multiple test steps and screenshots as a manual test in TC.  I see how you import a tcmt file but how do you take a word document and turn it intop a tcmt file?  I'm not very good at writing script and plan on using mostly keyword testing but think I might need some type of script for this.  I've read all the documentation I can find on this and I'm still having a hard time.  Please help :).

Allison

3 Replies

• Hi Allison,

You can do this only if you create a Manual test from script. I recommend that you read the "Creating Manual Tests From Scripts" article. You can get access to a Word document and an Excel worksheet via the Word.Application and Excel.Application COM objects respectively (see the "Working With COM Objects" article for details).

BTW, the mentioned topic includes sample projects that demonstrate how you can create a manual test in scripts by importing test instructions from a Microsoft Word document or an Access database. I hope, you will find them useful.
    amiller_1
    New Contributor
    Hi,

I added the example jscript from "Creating Manual Tests From Scripts" to my project but the problem is I don't know what it does.  It doesn't look like it even has a place for me to enter the link to my document.  When I run the example script it doesn't do anything.  I'm seeing where it creates the step and step id in the example but how does it get this info from my doc?  Would it be easier to import from an excel spreadsheet? 

Thanks,

Allison
  • Hi,

Actually, the sample script creates a manual test and its steps through a script and saves the created test to a file. I gave you this sample as it demonstrates the general approach to creating manual tests from script.

Importing a manual test from a word document needs custom programming. To retrieve data from MSWord, you need to know its object model. You can learn about it in the "Word Object Model Overview" MSDN article.

As your scenario depends much on the document structure, I cannot create a sample for you. We can give you only general examples (like the script form the "Creating Manual Tests From Scripts" help topic).

I understand that you do not have much programming experience, so, the task can be complicated for you. We'll include a built-in feature for importing manual tests from word documents in the next major version, TestComplete 8. Currently, we are going to start beta testing of TC8. So, the trial version will be available a bit later. I suggest that you wait until the trial is available and use this new feature.