Ask a Question

How to unmap a mapped object without deleting in Namemapping

visalinir
Contributor

How to unmap a mapped object without deleting in Namemapping

Hello all, in one of my keyword test, an object is mapped with one name and that same name is mapped to another object in some other test. Now I want to change the name for a object without changing the previously mapped object name. So please provide some solution for this and also to find out the object which was previously mapped with the same name.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

R. Visalini.

6 REPLIES 6
AlexKaras
Community Hero

Re: How to unmap a mapped object without deleting in Namemapping

Hi,

Not sure I got the question, but hope that you are talking about either renaming (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/name-mapping/mana...) or correcting (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/name-mapping/mana...) NameMapping elements...

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
shankar_r
Community Hero

Hi,

It is somewhat not clear what you described in your question.

Do you want to rename the same object in both Tests that you referred Or you have two different objects with same name [I don't think you can have 2 objects with same].

It would be better if you describe it more clear or snapshots would be better.

Thanks
Shankar R

LinkedIn | CG-VAK Software | Bitbucket | shankarr.75@gmail.com

“You must expect great things from you, before you can do them”

Extension Available

visalinir
Contributor

Hi Shankar,

Actually the case is for two different objects, same name is mapped and those objects are in different tests i.e., one object is in one test and other is in another test. For example, in Test 1 for OK button, the name is mapped as buttonOK and in Test 2 for Yes button, the mapped name is also as buttonOK. I hope you understand.

Thank you.

shankar_r
Community Hero

If that is case, then you have to follow steps provided in the link as @AlexKaras commented.

Thanks
Shankar R

LinkedIn | CG-VAK Software | Bitbucket | shankarr.75@gmail.com

“You must expect great things from you, before you can do them”

Extension Available

tristaanogre
Community Hero

What it also sounds like is that your mapping is getting confused...  the Yes button for some reason matches the criteria for the buttonOK.  This basically means that when you mapped your buttonOK, you didn't use sufficiently unique identification properties to make sure that the objects are identified properly.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
AlexKaras
Community Hero

On the other hand, everything may be quite OK with the NameMapping:

-- If I remember it correctly, the default setting for NameMapping is to use Extended Find when possible;

-- So, it may be that both buttons have, say, buttonOK identifier but different captions (e.g. OK and Yes);

-- If such buttons are located on different web pages and mapped at the page level with Extended Find enabled in NameMapping, one mapping will match both buttons. (And, presumably, will even work 🙂 )

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: