Forum Discussion

Jeevan
New Contributor
7 years ago

How to overcome count limitation of Persistent Variables

We are using TestComplete version 12.31

Our automation suite contains 58 Testcomplete Persistent Variables, mostly String type with Local Value assigned. It is found further addition to this list automatically removes previously added variables. Is there a way to add more variables to Persistent group without loosing existing ones?

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, I guess the question is... why do you need so many globally scoped persistent variables that persist from test run to test run? To be honest, that seems like an excessive number of globally scoped variables, persistent or otherwise.  What are you using them for?

If this is a limitation built in to TestComplete, then I don't think there's a "work around" available...  however, I just tried this... I was able to add 65 variables and I still haven't hit a "max limit".  So... I guess the question is, how are you adding the variables?  In my quick test, I just right clicked on the Persistent Variables section of my project suite and selected "new item".

Jeevan
      New Contributor

Thank You

There are so many screens in our application under test has controls with dynamic identification properties, more over there are multiple instances of same control will be present on same screen. Direct name mapping of each control is tedious here, instead  name map one of the control from a group of similar controls and use the project level variables to identify varying properties to distinguish which GUI control to access by run time decision.  Added more persistent variables to distinguish each control type and screen.

I am also adding new variable just by right clicking and picking the New Item menu. However I am loosing existing variables when I add new one.

(My project had 33 Project level temporary variables in use)

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest there is a better way of handling the namemapping issues than creating a new persistent variable every time you need to add a varying property.  Consider not having to map all your objects, for example.  In our application under test, we have some tables that show up in our web application that are long, dynamic lists of data.  From run to run, this list varies in length.  So, mapping all the rows and columns in this table doesn't make sense.  So, we use various "Find" functions to find what we want.  FindChild, Find, NativeWebObject.Find, etc, all come into play.  You can build a library of such functions to call within your tests that you can just pass in the parameters rather than having to put them in any set of variables.

There are other ways of dealing with dynamic properties... conditional namemapping is one, using wildcards is another.  But honestly, if you're hitting 58+ variables just to handle your mapping, I'd really suggest going a different direction.

That said... there is no upper limit that I can find to adding variables to a project or project suite.  So, why you're "losing" some is curious.  There has to be something unique about how you're doing stuff.  Keep in mind that the variables are stored in the PJS (for project suite) and MDS (for project) files.  So, if you're adding variables and someone else is adding variables, and you check in changes to your source control, you could be accidentally over-writing changes that the other person made, resulting in variables "disappearing".