Ask a Question

How do I determine what is different between two different xlsx versions of the same worksheet?

Cetherinefoster
New Contributor

How do I determine what is different between two different xlsx versions of the same worksheet?

I apologize in advance if my question seems somewhat vague (if only I could attach a file that would be so much better!) I use TestComplete for regression testing, part of which is .rdl-type reports in our software being exported in the .xls format and compared to a previously saved copy. A newer version of the software will export the file in the .xlsx format, and pretesting this in TestComplete is causing the following issue: The .xlsx file opens just fine using Microsoft Excel, but the following in TestComplete fails to open it: DDT.ExcelDriver(strSourceSpreadsheet, strSheet, True) However, if I open the file with Microsoft Excel and re-save it (making no changes), then the above line of code works just fine. So the next thing I did was to change the .xlsx extension on the before Excel and after Excel versions to .zip, and then tried comparing the two collections of files. The re-saved version is almost twice as big as the original one, has additional files, and all the common files are full of differences. How to I even begin trying to get to the bottom of this? Has anyone experienced something similar? MyAccountAccess Online

1 REPLY 1
Marsha_R
Community Hero

How we begin is with the basic test that you want to do.  You have a baseline .xlsx file and a new .xlsx file, correct?

Have you tried the Excel checkpoint?  Check out that section on this page, and also be aware of the Limitations that are listed right below that. 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/working-with-external-data-sources/exce...

Let us know if that works for you.

Marsha_R
[Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: