Forum Discussion

daniducci
New Contributor
9 years ago

How do I detach a mapped name from an object?

The object I am trying to check was automatically mapped to the wrong name under a different parent. I can't go to the object and simply change the mapped name because a correct mapped name doesn't exist yet. So I want to create the correct name under the correct parent in the Name Maping screen. The parent has 4 children (Panel 0 through 3). This object is Panel(3). The parent already has 3 names mapped, corresponding to Panels 0 through 2. When I right click on the parent under the Name Mapping screen and choose to "Map Child Objects" it correctly comes up with Panel(3) as the only child left to be mapped. However, when I have Panel(3) selected and click OK, it gives me an error saying Panel(3) is already mapped. So I can't create the correct Name. I can't fix the mapping because the correct name doesn't exist. I can't create the correct name because the object is already incorrectly mapped. I don't see any ability to detach an object from its incorrectly mapped name. What am I missing?

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

What if you delete incorrect namemapping entries in the NameMapping editor? Or just edit their properties so that they no longer match the properties of the object(s) that you want to map.

daniducci
      New Contributor

I considered that, however deleting the namemapping entry would cause more problems. Unfortunately, the namemapping entry it is incorrectly mapped to is a valid namemapping entry already mapped to a different object with multiple children correctly mapped and being checked elsewhere in the test. The namemapping entry is double mapped to multiple objects, and I only want to detach the incorrect one and not lose all the mapping for the correctly mapped object and all children.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Make a backup copy of your name mapping and hide it somewhere very safe.  ;)

Now you can go ahead and delete the part of the name mapping that's causing the problem.  Then map the Panel(3) object manually so it gets the mapping you want.  Finally, do a merge with the backup copy to get the rest of the mapping back.