Forum Discussion

Canaussie
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Greenhorn Question on Test Organisation

Hello,

I have been manually testing for years, new to automation/Test Complete.

1. We have a desktop application with dozens and dozens of menu options. How should I organize my testing?

For instance, should I create a folder for each menu item under KeywordTests and then build the tests for each menu item within those folders?

2. With some menus having quite a large number of negative test scenarios, should I first go through each menu item and build the positive tests? My thought there is that we would at least have the postive tests completed.

Thank you for your time, any suggestions on beginner videos or articles would also be appreciated.

• Hi Canaussie 

I hope you are keeping well.

A good place to start is with our documentation on getting started with Test Complete we have the following guide on Testing Desktop Applications - Tutorial and there is also the guide on Automated Testing

We also have a range of free online courses available via the SmartBear Academy; starting with TestComplete Introductory Training

I would organise my tests in folder structure but its more or a preference as its easier to find and search for tests.

Please let me know if this helps your query or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Shane

3 Replies

• Hi Canaussie 

I hope you are keeping well.

A good place to start is with our documentation on getting started with Test Complete we have the following guide on Testing Desktop Applications - Tutorial and there is also the guide on Automated Testing

We also have a range of free online courses available via the SmartBear Academy; starting with TestComplete Introductory Training

I would organise my tests in folder structure but its more or a preference as its easier to find and search for tests.

Please let me know if this helps your query or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Shane

Canaussie
    New Contributor

Thank you!

A follow up question if you don't mind....

How do you identify which tests have been created? For instance, do you name the tests or folders appropriately...

• Hi Canaussie 

Your very welcome.

I name the tests so for example I have a "Common Tasks" folder and have given each test an appropriate name;

Hope that helps and Happy Testing,

Shane