Forum Discussion

greenew
New Contributor
14 years ago

Getting very limited visibility into WPF application using TestComplete v8

Just started looking at this application for test and I can't get visibility into the objects.  When I use the Object Spy I get the following for the full name.

Sys.Process("AcSELerator.DiagramBuilder").Window("HwndWrapper[AcSELerator.DiagramBuilder.exe;;50cfa859-1e25-479f-a2c4-6447810e1838]", "AcSELerator Diagram Builder - ", 1)

The 50cfa... number is different every time the application opens.  I get the Standard and Extended sections in the view but no .net or other section that allows me to interact with the menues.  I have the .net/WPF extension installed.

I can use the ctrl+Shift+A selector to see a submenu of for example "File" but the name is so generic that it isn't useful.  All the submenues have the same name with some changing "guid".

The application that I am testing has a menu bar with  File, Edit, View, Select, Layout, Settings, Help but there is no access to these items. (other than an x, y click) And then I don't have access to the submenues that they open.

The developer is willing to try different things but I don't know what to tell him to change.

Any suggestions as to what I have to do to get better access to this application would be helpful.

Thanks,

Will

5 Replies

greenew
    New Contributor
    So sometimes a person answers their own question.   I've been working with a previous application for the last two years and forgot that you need to add the application you want to test into the testedApps folder.  Hopefully someone else can learn from this. 
    greenew
    New Contributor
    Yes, the problem is solved.  Once I added the application to the TestedApps folder all of the elements are visible.

Thanks,

Will
    greenew
    New Contributor
    Allen-

One thing that I don't understand is why it didn't automatically add this application to my tested apps folder when I tried to record on it.  Under options | Recording | General - I do have "Automatically add applications to the Tested Application list" selected.  This may have something to do with my project being source controlled but even then I would expect an error indicating that the "TestedApps.tcTAs" file is write protected.

Thanks,

Will