Forum Discussion

slecault
Contributor
2 years ago

FindElementbyXpath times out and TC ends in error - object not found

I run a mobile app on physical Android device connected (via usb) to my laptop using a local Appium server.

At one point (after executing a few interactions with the mobile app), I try to find an element by xpath.  The element is not on screen at the time of the search. I was expecting the findElementByxPath to return an empty object with the .Exists property. It is not the case and the tests stops with the message:

"Unable to find an element that matches the specified 'xpath' selector strategy and value '//*[contains(@text, "Professionnal")]"

My next step was to swipe up the screen if the object.Exists returns false.

Any suggestions as to why ".FindElementByXPath('//*[contains(@text, "' + findThisText + '")]');" makes the tests to stop instead of returning an empty stub (empty object with .Exists property)?

The same find by xpath works ok for a string which is on screen at the time of the search.

I am running TC 15.40

Android 9.1.0 on Huawei P20

2 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I would create Support ticket via the https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/message/ form.

Documentation for the "FindElementByXPath Method (Mobile Objects)" clearly states that "

If no matching object was found, the method will return a stub object. To determine whether the method returns a valid object, use the Exists property of the returned object. If the property returns False, the object is a stub object.". So your description sounds like a possible problem.

slecault
      Contributor

Thank you Alex, I have tried a "work arround" and "WaitElementByXpath" does return the expected EmptyObject with .Exists set to false.  I will use this method instead.

In order to help others via documentation, I will also open a ticket.