Forum Discussion

HD
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

FindChild() cannot find correct object.

I am using FindChild() to find a child (in my case GridViewCell) with specific properties, but it keeps returing wrong child object.

Here is the scenario:

I am trying to find a GridViewCell with:

RadTreeListView.FindChild(["ClrClassName", "DataColumn.DisplayIndex", "Value.OleValue"], ["GridViewCell", 5, "ABCDEFG"], 100, true);

But I keep getting a GridViewCell which matches all the properties except 'Value.OleValue', here Value==null. I am not sure why FindChild is returning an objrct that does not even satisfies all the properties.

Can someone please help me with this

• Issue here turned out to be "OleValue" property, which according to smartbear is dummy property inserted by TestComplete and should not be used for Finding objects. So issue is fixed if I use:

RadTreeListView.FindChild(["ClrClassName", "DataColumn.DisplayIndex", "Value"], ["GridViewCell", 5, "ABCDEFG"], 100, true);

5 Replies

HD
    Contributor

Issue here turned out to be "OleValue" property, which according to smartbear is dummy property inserted by TestComplete and should not be used for Finding objects. So issue is fixed if I use:

RadTreeListView.FindChild(["ClrClassName", "DataColumn.DisplayIndex", "Value"], ["GridViewCell", 5, "ABCDEFG"], 100, true);

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

According to documentaion ..
    When the FindChild method is used to search for an object by its name (the Name property), TestComplete ignores spaces and the following characters in the name:
    ( ) [ ] . , " '

even though you havent explicitly used "Name" property I suspect there may be ignored character.

insted try defining your array seperatly
    var1 = [...] var2 =[.....] etc

FindChild(var1,var2, 100,true)

HD
      Contributor

Thats not an issue here.

When I do a FindChild() with "WPFControlOrdinalNo" instead of "DataColumn.DisplayIndex" in the above example, it works fine. So the issue lies somewhere else.

Either I am doing something wrong or It looks like there is a bug in the  FindChild() method implementation.

HD
        Contributor

Can someone please help me with this. I am stuck on this problem and can't move forward unless this gets resolved.