Forum Discussion

ThatsRad
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Execution Plan / Organize Tests tab greyed out

I have recently started using the Version Control with Test Complete - Git - Azure DevOps server. Came across some conflicts when trying to merge the Master branch to a branch I was currently working on and as result the Execution Plan / Organize Tests tab disappeared on me.

After selecting it from the view option at the top menu it came back but most of it is greyed out now.

Any idea what could make this happen?

• Hi,

Files that are part of TestComplete's project (except script units to certain extent) must not be merged and must be considered as binaries.

Thus your best bet is to rollback all files to last known good state and then manually in TestComplete apply all changes made since that time.

• Hi,

In regards t any other file than scripts I should include them in gitignore file?

No... https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/integration/scc/files.html help article describes what files must be added to the source control system (SCS) in order TestComplete can open the project and work with it.

Only files that are not added to the SCS (last paragraph of the referenced article) may be added to the .gitignore file.

But you should either mark all TestComplete files (except script ones) added to the SCS as non-mergeable / binary (if this is supported by the given SCS), or do not allow SCS engine to merge conflicted files and resolve conflicts manually in TestComplete IDE. Unfortunately, TestComplete does not provide clear information about what caused conflict and how to resolve it, so you will have to carefully read files difference report provided by the SCS and try to understand the reason of conflict.

The general rule is : Save the project immediately after you change something in the project's structure (add project variable, change something in NameMapping / Aliasing, change something in the Execution Plan, etc.) and provide the changed project to all your team members.

Some changes may be not synchronized. For example, you and your colleague each may add a keyword test to your copies of test project and work on your own test. But then, you will have to select what project (yours or the project of your colleague) will be the 'master' one and add missing keyword test to it. Then the other one must overwrite his project with the 'master' one in order to be in sync and continue to work. Projects' auto-merge most likely will result in corrupted project files.

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Files that are part of TestComplete's project (except script units to certain extent) must not be merged and must be considered as binaries.

Thus your best bet is to rollback all files to last known good state and then manually in TestComplete apply all changes made since that time.

ThatsRad
      New Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like a plan alright.

Would you be able to elaborate on "rollback all files". Not sure how to do this. If you could point me to a current online resource I should take it from there.

In regards t any other file than scripts I should include them in gitignore file? 

rollback all files

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

No... https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/integration/scc/files.html help article describes what files must be added to the source control system (SCS) in order TestComplete can open the project and work with it.

Only files that are not added to the SCS (last paragraph of the referenced article) may be added to the .gitignore file.

But you should either mark all TestComplete files (except script ones) added to the SCS as non-mergeable / binary (if this is supported by the given SCS), or do not allow SCS engine to merge conflicted files and resolve conflicts manually in TestComplete IDE. Unfortunately, TestComplete does not provide clear information about what caused conflict and how to resolve it, so you will have to carefully read files difference report provided by the SCS and try to understand the reason of conflict.

The general rule is : Save the project immediately after you change something in the project's structure (add project variable, change something in NameMapping / Aliasing, change something in the Execution Plan, etc.) and provide the changed project to all your team members.

Some changes may be not synchronized. For example, you and your colleague each may add a keyword test to your copies of test project and work on your own test. But then, you will have to select what project (yours or the project of your colleague) will be the 'master' one and add missing keyword test to it. Then the other one must overwrite his project with the 'master' one in order to be in sync and continue to work. Projects' auto-merge most likely will result in corrupted project files.