Forum Discussion

gdave
Regular Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Device Testing

Hi all

We have a manual web team who has recently got a license for BrowserStack (for manual crossbrowser & multiple device testing) and it seems that they've got a spare one which they have offered us to use.

I was wondering if there is a way to run my existing TestComplete scripts on BrowserStack for multiple device testing ? Please be aware that we do not use selenium and all our test scripts are designed using keyword test.

If BrowserStack can't be used can someone be kind enough to advise the best possible tool for us to perform multiple device testing using TestComplete script or if SmartBear offers any specific product for device testing ?

Thank you.

• gdave :

Hi,

CBT for iOS & Android platform for various devices can be achieved via standalone mobile module only ( not the one which is integrated with TC).

Well, I understand this 'standalone mobile module' as a new cross-platform module/project mode which indeed requires separate license and was introduced in TC 14.4.

If my above statement is correct, than it corresponds to my understanding:

-- CBT integrated with TestComplete provides access to Windows desktop environments only;

-- Cross-platform module/project mode uses Selenium under the hood and thus tests created using this new mode can be executed with any platform that supports Selenium (non-integrated CBT, BrowserStack, etc.);

-- As communication with Selenium in new mode is implemented via the new <page>.FindElement() method, old test code will not work in cross-platform mode unless been modified.

My initial reply in this thread seems to be correct and relevant.

The answer to your initial question:

all our test scripts are designed using keyword test.

is:

No. Existing tests (both scripted and Keyword ones) cannot be executed 'as-is' in the cross-platform mode and require proper modifications. And no, I am not aware about any other third-party product or SmartBear offering except new cross-platform mode in TC 14.40 and up that makes it possible to execute TestComplete tests on mobile devices in the cloud farms.

I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like that you will not be able to use this spare BrowserStack license for TestComplete testing immediately right now.

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

For testing web browser instances on multiple devices, SmartBear has CrossBrowserTesting which is integrated into TestComplete (or can be used separately).

For native applications on multiple devices, you can check out BitBar (https://bitbar.com/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=smartbear.com&utm_campaign=prodnav).  I've not used it nor can I give any further information on it as to whether or not you can run TestComplete against it.  I'd suggest you contact SmartBear directly.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

gdave :

Hi,

SmartBear has CrossBrowserTesting which is integrated into TestComplete

To my level of knowledge, integrated CBT provides only desktop OSes/browsers for TestComplete.

To execute TestComplete tests on real devices/emulators in the cloud farms (BitBar, CBT, BrowserStack, etc.) one must use TestComplete version 14.40 and up with enabled cross-platform mode.

The bad news is that this mode is incompatible with all existing test code codebase in TestComplete and can be used for the greenfield test projects only.

The good news is that there is a hope that SmartBear will introduce NameMapping support for the cross-platform mode in the next minor update and this may improve the situation with existing test code compatibility.

P.S. Note, that in order to be able to execute TestComplete tests (in cross-platform mode) on any cloud provider, your plan for this provider must include something that is called 'tests automation' or something like that. Plans for manual testing usually do not contain this option.

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thanks Community!

Hi gdave! Does this answer your question? Please mark the best answer as a solution here!

gdave
    Regular Contributor

Hi all

I have spoken to SmartBear directly and I am sharing this information with wider audience who wish to use CBT with multiple devices.

SmartBear now provides additional mobile module for device testing, here's the link:

https://smartbear.com/product/testcomplete/mobile-testing/

Ofcourse, one need to purchase an additional license for this module however the existing TC scripts can be run on this module.

Hope this helps.

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

gdave :

Hi,

Thank you for the update. I went through the article that you referenced and saw nothing that mentions testing on the iOS and Android platforms via integrated CBT.

So, just to ensure that I got you right: did Support in their reply explicitly mention that with CBT integrated with TestComplete (and the mentioned additional module?) it is now possible to execute TestComplete tests on iOS and Android platforms within CBT environment?

P.S. If you are talking about cross-platform testing introduced in TC 14.40, then yes, it can be used with standalone CBT (i.e. not integrated with TC) like with any other cloud testing platform that supports Selenium-based tests (BitBar, Sauce Labs, BrowserStack, etc.

Note: at the moment, cross-platform code cannot use NameMapping/Aliases and thus is not compatible with the already existing test code.

gdave
        Regular Contributor

Hi AlexKaras 

Sorry if I have confused you.

So, the SmartBear account manager came back to me and said that CBT for iOS & Android platform for various devices can be achieved via standalone mobile module only ( not the one which is integrated with TC). Hope this helps.

Just to clarify, If I install TC 14.40 along with standalone mobile module, do you mean any new web tests I record on my local computer will be compatible however any existing ones which were created prior to 14.40 version will not be compatible. Please let me know if my understanding here is correct ? Thanks