Forum Discussion

rob_wheadon
New Contributor
14 years ago

Deleting Unnecessary Property Nodes from NameMapping.tcNM File

Hello There,

I recently had a look at my TestComplete name mapping file and I noticed there was a large number of property nodes which are unused.  In my case the property nodes are in the 1/root/data/storages/child0 path in NameMapping.tcNM.

How do I delete these useless property nodes safely in TestComplete?

Thanks,

Robert

8 Replies

• Hi Allen,

Thanks for getting back to me.  The problem is that these orphaned property nodes (in NameMapping.tcNM) cannot be seen by TestComplete's Name Mapping GUI.  

I want to know how to stop these nodes cluttering up the Name Mapping file.  They create merging problems with source code control systems.

How did these nodes get in the storages section in the first place?  What TestComplete operation creates them?

Regards,

Robert
  • Hi Robert,

I want to know how to stop these nodes cluttering up the Name Mapping file.  They create merging problems with source code control systems.

How did these nodes get in the storages section in the first place?

Do you mean that initially there were no 'orphaned' property nodes, and suddenly, they appeared in NameMapping.tcNM? If so, please send us both the file containing them and one without these property nodes.

• What happened was:

1. I created a new TestComplete project an mapped a few nodes

2. Merged the name mapping file from another project (with nodes that I wanted to re-use)

3. Deleted some unwanted name mapping nodes 

4. Saved the project

5. Looked inside NameMapping.tcNM and found a lot more (like 100) property nodes in storages than I expected

I imagine the orphaned nodes came from the project that I merged in step 2.  It would be nice to know how to clean up and get rid of the unwanted property nodes without breaking my tests.

I only have the "after" file not the "before" file.  Do you still want me to create a support request?

• Hi Robert,

We have received the e-mail message from you. Let us continue working on the subject within that support case.
  • Has there been any headway on this issue? We are seeing the same issue here.
  • Hi Matthew,

The initial problem will be fixed in the first TC 8 update. Send your NameMapping file, we will look into it.