Forum Discussion

AlexBorelli
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Debug Slow

Hi.   I am using the TestComplete version 12.0.122.7 and when I using the debug is very slow, 13 seconds for change a line.     Do you can help-me?
    tristaanogre
    8 years ago

Good question... however, the debugger does need to get values back and such... also, is this running in the middle of a larger project or is it stand alone?  What sort of process/ram/disc do you have going on your machine?  These are all factors in performance. 

I just tried it on my workstation.  I put a breakpoint on the a := a; line. For me, it took 6 seconds to bring me to the editor for the breakpoint.  However, hitting "step over", each step through the test actually went pretty quickly from there on.  Again, there is overhead in the debugger.

One thing you can try that gave me some pretty good results and reduce that overhead...  Under Tools | Options | Log, there's an option there for "show pause log".  If you disable that, the debugger comes back a lot faster because TestComplete no longer needs to actually populate a log to display on screen while you are debugging.

Another bit of overhead to clean up... if you have any Watches added, each of those needs to be evaluated when you hit a breakpoint... even if the function you are working doesn't impact them, they still need to be evaluated.  Disable or remove any unnecessary Watches in your watch list.

AlexBorelli
    8 years ago

Good morning.

The solution was delete the Watch List Items. Magic solution. Now is very fast my debbug.

Thank you Robert Martin, you are fantastic.

Alex Borelli