Forum Discussion

BrianSmart
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Count the number of instances

Hey,

I'm trying to find a way to count the number of instances of an application without throwing an error. Part of my check is to launch a second instance, and verify that the application detects another instance running, and alerts the user. I don't want to stop testing when using Sys.Process("name", 2).Exists(). Is there a place where I can safely (without an error) count the number of instances for manual validation? Do I need to do this externally?

Thanks!

ebarbera
    3 years ago

BrianSmart - 

For this I would suggest the following. 

Create a second object in the NameMapping which is mapped using the index number:

In your test build an If...Then statement:

The statements themselves can be customized and of course if you did not want to log a warning you do not have too - just used that as an example. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions. 

Emma

4 Replies

• hi BrianSmart - 

Are you looking to validate this internally or externally? Either can be done. 

Thanks, 

Emma

BrianSmart
      Occasional Contributor

I want to validate it internally without turning off "stop on error" and without running external scripts.

ebarbera
        Staff

BrianSmart - 

For this I would suggest the following. 

Create a second object in the NameMapping which is mapped using the index number:

In your test build an If...Then statement:

The statements themselves can be customized and of course if you did not want to log a warning you do not have too - just used that as an example. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions. 

Emma