Ask a Question

Chrome Alert not showing up in Object Browser

andrewa
Contributor

Chrome Alert not showing up in Object Browser

I have a web page that I've been testing in Internet Explorer just fine. However, we recently wanted to move over to doing testing in Chrome and one of the pages has an alert that doesn't show up in the object browser. In fact, I can't even see the alert when I try to inspect it using the developer tools in Chrome. Has anyone else encountered this?

10 REPLIES 10
tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor

Alerts in Chrome are not part of the DOM of the web page.  To access the alert, that is part of the browser process itself.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

Do you know if I can access that through test complete? I've been looking at the Browser object, but I don't see anything for alerts/popups there. Most of it seems to be tied to the page.

tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor

What does ObjectSpy show when you highlight the object?

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

Object spy doesn't seem to highlight the alert at all. It'll highlight Chrome, but not the pop-up.

Marsha_R
Champion Level 3

Try recording a test where you click on the popup and see what TestComplete calls it in there.

I tried that this morning. Looks like it was able to 'see' the popup now. Odd that the Page.Alert wasn't able to see it.

So when I record it, it does create an entry. However, if I try to detect that the entity it clicks on 'exists' in a keyword test, it never seems to be able to find the object.

Also, I've seen it create multiple different types of objects. Here's an example of one:
Aliases.pageBankAccounts.sectionContent.formAspnetform.panelContentcenter.panel.table.cell.panel2

I'm going to try running it in a script to see if the results are any different.

When I put the mapped objects it finds into a script, it always returns 'false' when trying to see if that object exists. So I'm sort of confused how to get past this part.

Marsha_R
Champion Level 3

@andrewa wrote:

So when I record it, it does create an entry. However, if I try to detect that the entity it clicks on 'exists' in a keyword test, it never seems to be able to find the object.

Also, I've seen it create multiple different types of objects. Here's an example of one:
Aliases.pageBankAccounts.sectionContent.formAspnetform.panelContentcenter.panel.table.cell.panel2

I'm going to try running it in a script to see if the results are any different.

How far down in the tree can you actually map?  Can you get close to your object?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: