Forum Discussion

romrellob
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Can you configure multiple projects to use the same name mapping repository?

Can you configure multiple projects to use the same name mapping repository? If so I have not been able to find the documentation that describes who to do that.

I have a number of tests that I want to group together and have separate executions plans to run them.   They all use the same name mapping repository.

How can I group them so that they can run separately and independently and have them still use the same name mapping repository? 

• Thank you Marsha_R for the reply and direction.

Here is a little more detail to Marsha's reply to make it work.

On the new Project,

• Right Click on NameMappings and select Remove from the menu.  
    • In the popup dialog, select Remove and not Delete.  This leaves the local repository intact if you want to go back to it.
    • Right click on the new Project Name, select Add/ExistingItem from the menu.
    • Browse to the name mapping file that you want to use and click Open.

You will see the Name mapping object appear in the new project and you will be able to find all of the elements that were previously mapped.

NOTE: Do not use the MergeWith option.  That populates the local NameMapping with the elements from the source that you pointed to.  You still end up with two different NameMapping repositories.

2 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Try right clicking on the project name, then choose Add -> Existing Item and browse for the name mapping file that you need.  

romrellob
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you Marsha_R for the reply and direction.

Here is a little more detail to Marsha's reply to make it work.

On the new Project,

• Right Click on NameMappings and select Remove from the menu.  
      • In the popup dialog, select Remove and not Delete.  This leaves the local repository intact if you want to go back to it.
      • Right click on the new Project Name, select Add/ExistingItem from the menu.
      • Browse to the name mapping file that you want to use and click Open.

You will see the Name mapping object appear in the new project and you will be able to find all of the elements that were previously mapped.

NOTE: Do not use the MergeWith option.  That populates the local NameMapping with the elements from the source that you pointed to.  You still end up with two different NameMapping repositories.