Forum Discussion

AverageBear
New Contributor
7 years ago

12.3 upgrade = broken application tree navigation

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been using TestComplete on a self-taught basis for several years now. We use it for testing a Laboratory Information Management system that I look after, both for release testing of new versions and mandatory validation testing of the calculation and reporting processes of the application.

The aged 32bit application in question is written in VB, and uses 3 panels with a menu bar across the top. One panel is a tree based navigation system, one is a filter, and the other largest one displays whatever it is that you want to look at. The application client connects by ODBC to a MS SQL database.

My scripts ( around 200 or so) are composed of chains of compartmentalised functions (keyword tests) so share several parts. 

Upon updating to TestComplete 12.3 the tree based navigation parts of scripts failed stating that "Treeview Node 'XYZ'  not found".

I have tried re-recording relevant keyword tests, and just updated to 12.4, without no improvement. I have tried re-mapping objects etc, extending wait times etc, all the tricks I have learned to make things work in the past.

Because the running of test complete comprises a small part of my overall role, I am struggling to make any progress with this, and I need to create a whole bunch more scripts as the scope of the application has increased significantly over the past year.

Before I harass SmartBear support, I thought I would see if anyone here had similar experiences and had some suggestions to share.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Could you post a screenshot of the object browser for your treeview control will all available properties?

Also, a screenshot of the relevant line of code/keyword operations where you're attempting the interaction with the treeview that generates the error.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Your screenshot of your tree view object in the object browser... MappedName is empty.  Are you using NameMapping/Aliases for object identification?

The reason I ask is because, in the KeywordTest screenshot, the "ClickItem" is being called from some object identified simply as "trv".  If your Mapping broke so that trv is no longer being properly identified, that could have something to do with it.  That's where I'd start investigating...  What is "trv", how is it mapped/identified?  What changed in those identification parameters, etc?

AverageBear
        New Contributor

Thanks Robert, I will follow your suggestion.

The naming methodology was not by design,  I presume it was automatically applied by the Test Complete version used at the time. I forget the version we started with, was around 2011 or so.

AverageBear
      New Contributor

Hi Robert,

thank you for your assistance. Please see the screenshots below and attached.

Control PropertiesExample keyword test browsing to item in the treeParameter settings