Forum Discussion

rickm
Contributor
8 years ago

v12.3 removed support for Script Extensions? Unbelievable!

Please tell me that I'm misunderstanding this. You have removed record-time script extensions? How could you do this?

We've been using TC for 6 years now. I have over 1000 tests. We just added a new product and I just started creating 1000 more. I can't record tests without using script extensions. I use them in EVERY test that I record.

This is unbelievable. Just read your own documentation to see how you boast how this is such a powerful and useful feature.

25 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

We use extensions in a lot of our test cases as well... however, we don't use them during record time.  We add calls to the extensions via design time when creating the test code.  

Truthfully, 99.9999% of the time, when you "record" a test, you're going to have to go back and make modifications anyways to a) improve timing, b) add loops and searches, c) parameterize data entry etc.  You're going to be editing the test case anyways, so might as well shift the Record-time script extensions to design time.

Additionally, we've found that recording is good primarily for research... detecting what the general workflow is in a particular set of action, doing some initial namemapping,, etc.  Recording a test case from beginning to end rarely works in more complicated applications so we don't really bother.  Record chunks and segments, add them in, modify, lather, rinse, repeat.

While I'm with you that I don't generally like deprecation (for example, see my comment concerning the removal of the object checkpoint type), consider your own application under test.  There are features, functions, bells, whistles, etc., that probably get added and removed all the time that your own end users don't like... and yet you still do it because the product roadmap you're aiming for requires the changes.

I can't speak for the decision processes at SmartBear.  I don't like the object checkpoint depracation.  But I have some useful workarounds that allow me to continue to function and still create tests the way I need to.  So, while record time extensions are gone, design time still exists and that's where I find the most use anyways.

rickm
      Contributor

Robert, thanks for your interest.

All 1000 of my tests were recorded from beginning to end with little or no editing after recording. NONE of my record-time extensions can be replaced by design-time actions.

11 of the 14 extensions are custom checkpoints which obviously have to be invoked at run time.

Some of these have to call "helper APIs" to access and control 3rd-party widgets not fully supported by TC, such as the Developer Express TreeList object. In fact, this work-around of creating a helper API was given to me by SmartBear support because they said providing complete support would have been too much work.

One of my extensions re-implements the TC record feature we lost (IIRC) with Windows 8.x where TC no longer replaces file selector navigation and clicking the "Open" button with a single call to "dlgOpenLogFile    OpenFile". That was another feature the TC documentation was quite proud of.

Without record-time support we're going to have to stick with v12.20. Eventually, as you can imagine, the product will stop working properly with new versions of Windows and we will lose the large investment we've made going down this road with TestComplete.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Perhaps if you show us an example of your script extensions, we can find another solution for you.  

rickm
    Contributor
    I was finally informed this week that record-time script extensions is "targeted" to be resurrected in v12.4 possibly to be released in October.

Rick