Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit Combobox items' identification property

SOLVED
handanu
Contributor

Unable to edit Combobox items' identification property

Hi,

I couldn't update combobox items' property in name mapping. When I rightclick the item in aliases screen, I get a warning includes "Unable to find the object that matches the "Radcomboboxitem123...." item". In the warning I click "Edit the identification properties of ""adcomboboxitem123...."", but the update name mapping window is empty except for WPFControlAutomationID. I want to add the text property.

When I use object spy-->point and fix, I could reach only basic properties, I couldn't reach advanced properties. I get the warning "Unable to show the advanced properties of the object, because the object does not exist..." 

How could i update this item's property?

Thank you.

TC version:14.20

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
tristaanogre
Community Hero

Re: Unable to edit Combobox items' identification property

What is your need for inspecting the drop down value/item?  If you're looking at actually selecting the item, if this is a WPF ComboBox, you should be able to just call a ClickItem method to select the item.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/controls/desktop/wpf/combobox...

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

handanu
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I could't fix it but I get rid of the problem. I used shortcut keys on the keyboard instead of using right-click menu item. I was lucky this time because I used that object only in two tests.

13 REPLIES 13
tristaanogre
Community Hero

What is your need for inspecting the drop down value/item?  If you're looking at actually selecting the item, if this is a WPF ComboBox, you should be able to just call a ClickItem method to select the item.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/controls/desktop/wpf/combobox...

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

handanu
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. 

But I could click the combobox item. My test run successfully. What I need is, sometimes developers change the order of items, so I need to update namemapping. In this case i couldn't reach the identification property. It seems empty.

I guess I'm close to a solution. When I use Get Value operation, I could reach advanced properties unless it couldn't highlighted. Next step how could i add the property to item's name mapping properties.

tristaanogre
Community Hero

If the test ran successfully, then there's no reason to update your NameMapping as that is what determines object identification.  If they re-order the items and your test still passes, then the mapping is fine as it is.  

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

Thanks for the assistance, tristaanogre.

@handanu, was the issue resolved?

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya
SmartBear Community and Education Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
handanu
Contributor

I haven't chance to try yet. Because dev team haven't change any combobox item's property. When it happens, I'll write it here. 

Thank you for your support.

TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

Hi @handanu,

Thanks for the update!

We will be waiting for a reply from you. As for now, let me mark Robert's reply as a solution. It may help other community members.

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya
SmartBear Community and Education Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
handanu
Contributor

Hi,

Now I have problem. Not combobx item but similar right-click menu item. Properties have been changed but I couldn't update because on Update Name Mapping screen there isn't any property. It is empty. I could reach new properties with object spy-->Point and Fix. But I don't know how could I remap with the old object in the name mapping area?

I use keyword test not script.

Thanks in advance

tristaanogre
Community Hero

If the component is on screen, you can edit the NameMapping to use any properties you want for identification.

See https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/name-mapping/dial...

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
handanu
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Cause it is right click menu item, it couldn't be onscreen when I click the object on name mapping for editing. I disappears. So I couldn't update name mapping object, it comes empty.

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors