Forum Discussion

pwedo
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
7 years ago

UX Design Questions - Need your opinion

Hello – SmartBear UX Designer for TestComplete, here again. Nice to see you!

We’ve started to receive feedback about our new Environment Manager, which runs Web tests on real devices across multiple browser versions.

We have several questions to you regarding this functionality. Follow this short survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QTJVHCR

Also, please review images below. The current folder tree (Workspace left) binds Environment Lists exclusively as Groups, to which Tests must be added.

The major change in proposed redesign would “flatten” this structure to more closely match TestProject view behavior and label columns clearer.

Do you prefer one UI layout to the other? Responses with your feedback, or specific questions to clarify benefits of either approach are welcome!

8 Replies

bertjefred
    New Contributor

The redesign looks more in line with the rest of Testcomplete which is a good thing. It might be good to think about which columns are acctually needed. List Name seems unnecessary when you can edit the name of the group. I haven't worked with the Environment manager yet (not in my TC version) but there might be other columns that can come in handy.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I concur.  It would be good to see everything looking uniform across the product.  I like the redesign.

shankar_r
    Community Hero

New design is aligns with the other Test Complete options screens, I will vote up for New Design.

pwedo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you 

Environment Manager runs tests in parallel based on availability of devices running selected OS/Browser/Resolution.

By contrast, the TestProject folder structure runs in sequence. Does this change your opinion of making them similar?

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so.  Again, you are preserving existing layout similar to the Network Suites.  Network suites have jobs, tasks, hosts, etc, that run in parallel.

Back a number of versions back, TestComplete included load testing before it was broken out in LoadComplete.  Again, the UI there was still similar to what you are doing in that it lists out the different virtual agents that would be running in parallel.  

I think the look and feel being consistent is not in conflict with functionality so long as it is presented logically.  

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

I would still like consistency between products.  If I'm using office suite products of some brand or other, I don't have to search around in the menus for settings or fonts or whatever, whether I'm calculating in a spreadsheet or creating a presentation.  The things that the products have in common should look the same to the user.