Forum Discussion

slecault
Contributor
7 years ago

TestComplete 12.40 Script Editor - Too slow to be used depending on size of script file

We upgrade some of our work station and VMs this week.  Execution of scripts is ok so far.  Script editing is not usable due to performance issue.  Did some testing to drill down a bit the issue, and here are some facts:

• Problem only with 1 script file (.sd)
  • It is a biggest one in bytes (541 000 bytes)
  • Editing this unit is painfully slow, cursor lags after mouse scroll, mouse clicks, keyboard arrows, drop down to see list of procedures.
  • The unit contains 11807 lines (including comments)
  • The unit contains 431 routines
  • Putting the whole file in comment brings back the speed.

Seems to me like it would be related to some sort of dynamic indexing for variables and routines (the less there is, the speedier it is.

It is not thinkable at this time to split the source. 

We would very much like a fix for this.

Our scripts are in Delphi Script.

3 Replies

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

On a more practical note... almost half a meg worth of script code to parse, update with syntax highlighting, outline, etc...  That's a LOT.  Have you considered breaking up the contents of the file into multiple files?  I know that in the Delphi desktop application that I once was tasked with testing, we had several units of code that were just as large... and the development staff were always working at breaking up the units, refactoring the code because even in the Delphi IDE that was just a LOT of stuff to work with.

One setting you can try and turn off is the outlining (Tools -> Options -> Display)...  There's options there for outlining and automatic outlining... see if turning those off improves things any.

slecault
        Contributor

I have contacted support regarding this issue. 

As mentioned, the issue came with the upgrade to TC 12.40 (with lags of 3-8 seconds for reaction on mouse, keyboard...).  The same large file with high-lighting works fine une 12.30.  The code is already split as much as possible... but at some point we had to also keep it simple...

In which category would you put the LAPD Police Funny-car which is a 1992 Camaro? 

Choices: Drag, Camaros, GM, Police Car