Forum Discussion

JT
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Please confirm that Test complete continue support vb script also or only will support java script?

tristaanogre
    7 years ago

As noted, you won't have to.  VBScript will continue to be supported by TestComplete.  But, as HKosova notes, that language is in "maintenance" by Microsoft so is no longer being updated.  If you want to stay on the bleeding edge of scripting languages, definitely make the effort to convert to Python or JavaScript... but it's not necessary.

AlexKaras
    7 years ago

Hi,

> Uggghh I really don't fancy converting test scripts over to another language at any point.

One of the possible best practices to make this process more easy is not to use language-specific constructions. There is really almost no reason to use things like prototypes or internal class functions in JScript for functional tests.

And use functions provided by TestComplete whenever possible instead of functions that are native to this or that scripting language. For example use aqString.GetLength(myString) instead of myString.length().

• > I'd personally recommend JavaScript or Python for new test projects

My preference is DelphiScript. Because of several reasons. Alas, it looks like it is also in the maintenance mode...:(

10 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

TestComplete supports VBScript and there are no plans, as of now, to drop VBScript support.

TestComplete also supports JavaScript, JScript, Python, DelphiScript, C++Script and C#Script (not to be confused with C++ and C#).

What you might have heard is that VBScript is no longer supported in IE11 edge mode. This affects web application development, that is, web pages cannot include VBScript code in the <script> elements. This does NOT affect TestComplete and automated tests – you can still create and run tests written in VBScript, whether for desktop, web or mobile applications.

However, I'd like to note that TestComplete uses Microsoft VBScript engine that is part of Windows, and this engine is in the maintenance mode and no longer developed since at least 2010. That's why I'd personally recommend JavaScript or Python for new test projects – they are modern and actively developed languages, and are much more flexible than VBScript.

The language choice is up to you. Most of TestComplete features and scripting objects work with any of the supported scripting languages. This page has some tips:

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/selecting-the-scripting-language.html

Hope this helps!

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

> I'd personally recommend JavaScript or Python for new test projects

My preference is DelphiScript. Because of several reasons. Alas, it looks like it is also in the maintenance mode...:(

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

The latest version of TC supports:

- C#Script

- C++Script

- DelfiScript

- JavaScript

- JScript

- VBScript

- Python

JT
      New Contributor

Thanks for the reply..But I heard that vb script support will be discontinued in the future, not exactly the time line.Is this true? 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Can you cite your source for that statement?  Perhaps someone like HKosova could respond more directly.  As far as I am aware from what I see, VBScript will not be discontinued in the foreseeable future but I'm not a SmartBear employee so I can't say for certain.

liquidphantom
    Occasional Contributor

Uggghh I really don't fancy converting test scripts over to another language at any point.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

As noted, you won't have to.  VBScript will continue to be supported by TestComplete.  But, as HKosova notes, that language is in "maintenance" by Microsoft so is no longer being updated.  If you want to stay on the bleeding edge of scripting languages, definitely make the effort to convert to Python or JavaScript... but it's not necessary.

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi,

> Uggghh I really don't fancy converting test scripts over to another language at any point.

One of the possible best practices to make this process more easy is not to use language-specific constructions. There is really almost no reason to use things like prototypes or internal class functions in JScript for functional tests.

And use functions provided by TestComplete whenever possible instead of functions that are native to this or that scripting language. For example use aqString.GetLength(myString) instead of myString.length().

JT
        New Contributor

Thank you. I genuinely appreciate your help.