Forum Discussion

jsmith1979
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Freezes during Create Region Checkpoint, get Object Properties for a VB6 app

I'm able to do region checkpoints without any problem for applications like Notepad or Wordpad.

But for my application I need to test, it is freezing either TestComplete or the application when I try to make a region checkpoint. I've tried all three methods -- finder tool, cursor, and the drag box one. Sometimes my application crashes, and other times TestComplete freezes or waits indefinitely for the region to be selected.

It doesn't happen for all parts of the app, just certain ones which I think are built in an odd way (i.e. it's kind of hacked together). Or maybe it's just because VB6 is such an ancient language to be developing in.

I tried to get Object Properties so I could paste those here, but again TestComplete either freezes or doesn't get any properties for the object when I use the finder or cursor tools.

I'm using TestComplete 7.51 on Windows XP SP3 inside VMware Workstation 6.5.2.

Any ideas? Maybe I am out of luck unless/until the programmers change the app under test to be more modern, like using .NET controls.

Thanks!

8 Replies

• I too have faced similar issue with VB6 forms. Especially in case of SUBMIT and CANCEL buttons that come integrated in a frame. I did not need to have a checkpoint for it but I needed to click on such buttons which I was unable to do. I had to use the low level recording in such scenarios.

Thankyou

• Hi John,

To investigate the issue, we need more information from you.

>>>>>freezing either TestComplete or the application

Please follow the instructions below to help us collect more information about the problem:

1. Download the Debugging Tools for Windows package from:

and install it.

2. When TestComplete and (or) the tested application hang(s), run two instances of WinDbg ("C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\windbg.exe").

3. Attach the first WinDbg instance to TestComplete's process and attach the second instance to the tested application's process (File | Attach to a Process).

4. Type the following command in the Command window of the first instance of WinDbg :

.dump /m "C:\TCDump.dmp"

and press Enter. 

5. Type the following command in the Command window of the second instance of WinDbg:

.dump /m "C:\AppDump.dmp"

and press Enter.

6. Click Go on the WinDbg toolbar (or press F5) in both WinDbg instances. Wait for one minute and click Break (or press "Ctrl + Break") in both instances of WinDbg.

7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to save another set of dump files with different file names.

8. Without a delay, repeat steps 6 and 7 two more times. 

9. Send us all of the dump files created in the steps above via our Contact Support form (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message.asp).

>>>>>Sometimes my application crashes

To help us investigate the problem, please follow the steps below:

1. Download a free trial version of AQtime 6, which is our profiling tool, from our web site. The trial can be requested on the following page of our web site:

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime.

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the executable file of the tested application and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

10. AQtime will start the tested application and trace all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

11. Reproduce the problem.

12. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

13. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file via our Contact Support form:

Also, it would be very much appreciated if you provided us with a sample application demonstrating the issue.

Thanks in advance.

jsmith1979
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks, David. I sent the dump files to the support email address.
    Connie
    New Contributor
    I have also encountered TestComplete freezing when creating Table Checkpoints and using VB6 applications.
  • Hi Connie,

We would appreciate it if you provided us with a sample application demonstrating the issue. Please contact us regarding this via the following web form:

Having the application on our side would help us very much to continue investigations.

Thanks in advance.

Connie
    New Contributor
    Hi David,

I'd be glad to send you our VB6 application, but I don't think it will do you any good.  The application I'm using is retrieving information off of Oracle and displaying it.  It is pretty much an inhouse programming tool.  Let me know if there is another way I can help.

Thanks,

Connie
    Connie
    New Contributor
    David,

I just encountered the problem that TestComplete will freeze after recording a script using a VB6 application.  In further detail, TC will freeze when the "stop" (blue square) is clicked on the menu bar.  I wasn't sure how you wanted me to proceed since the checkpoint and recording problems may be linked.

Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,

Connie
  • Hi Connie,

We tried to reproduce similar behavior here, but failed.

Please provide us with additional information:

1. Does TestComplete hang during the creation of the region checkpoint for any control or for the specific ones?

2. In case the issue is control specific, does TestComplete hang if you perform any other actions on the control? Does TestComplete hang after recording some actions on these specific controls?

3. Try verifying the process tree for the target application in the Object Browser. Does TestComplete hang or crash in this case?

4. Try disabling the Visual Basic Open Applications plug-in (File | Install Extension). Do you face the issue in this case?

5. After you disable the VB OpenApp plug-in, please take a look at the object tree of your application in the Object Browser. Are the objects in your application recognized as WinFormsObject(...)?

Thanks in advance.