Forum Discussion

Yusufm87
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Excel application does not launch properly using Tested Apps

Hi, 

We have requirement of testing an Excel Add-in. To test it we open Excel, Load the add-in, generate formulas and extract data using the add-in and compare the outcome with expected values.

We launch excel using TestedApps object and then control excel using COM objects.

We are facing an issue while launching excel in which sometimes the Excel gets stuck on the initial pop-up while launching and doesn't proceed. The TestComplete also doesn't respond to this and keeps waiting for the excel to launch. Sometimes it waited for more than 2 days before it was manually terminated.

Has anyoe else faced this issue or know how to fix it kindly post it here.

Thanks,

Yusuf

• I haven't personally faced the problem but I have some thoughts.  It is possible that, when using the COM objects, there may be an instance of Excel that is not getting properly closed down.  So, when TestComplete goes to launch Excel, it can't because of that instance of Excel.

What you might want to do is check to see if there is an Excel process running in memory on the machine and, if so, terminate it before launching the application.

1 Reply

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I haven't personally faced the problem but I have some thoughts.  It is possible that, when using the COM objects, there may be an instance of Excel that is not getting properly closed down.  So, when TestComplete goes to launch Excel, it can't because of that instance of Excel.

What you might want to do is check to see if there is an Excel process running in memory on the machine and, if so, terminate it before launching the application.