Forum Discussion

romanmfs
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago

Data driven test pulling from Excel List one at a time

Hi!

I am testing a "create a new user" form on one of our sites and I have Excel file with different new user names I would like to use for each separate test. I would like to know if I could pull a different user and password in and order for every test I do.

For example when I run test today I would like to tell testcomplete to use the user and password from 1st row, next time from 2nd  row etc. The point is I do these quite often and have to manually change user and password every time before I run the test.

Thank you!

14 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

DDT likes to go through the rows sequentially.  There are ways around that but you have to be sneaky.  :)

I would probably do something like have a LastLogin variable and have a default value of some login that works but isn't in the sheet.  Read from the sheet and look for the first value not equal to LastLogin and stop.  Save that value in LastLogin and use it for the current test.  Next run will get the next value.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Just to better understand:

What makes it necessary to use a different login each time you run the test case? Is there something that changes when you login with a user that makes that user no longer valid?

This may be a point in time to talk less about "How do I make DDT do this?" and more about "What do I need to re-architect about my test environment?"

In a "past life", heck, even in my current life, we have tests where we cannot re-use data from one test run to another.  Things "Change" with the test data making it no longer valid for an additional test run.  So, I have 2 different was that I've done this:

1) Create data "on the fly" - Basically, when I start a test case or test run, the first thing I do is "stage" my test data.  I build out any data records, tables, etc.  In the past, these were customer data records for doing online ordering of amusement park tickets.  I needed to make sure that the customer records were there and didn't have any previous orders associated with them.  So, I blanked out the database, started from scratch, and built the data out as a staged "starting" database.  I could then run my test run against that starter database, knowing that all my data is EXACTLY how I want it.  We even did this as kind of a once a week thing.  

Slightly less complicated is what we're doing right now where each test case has built into it the data staging.  The first chunk of the keyword tests/script code doesn't actually execute the test case but simply builds the data that I need.  The next section of the test case is the actual test, and then I have a "clean up" at the end to dispose of any new data I created so that a re-run of the test case would be starting with a clean slate.

2) Restore from backup - The scenario I mentioned in point 1 above we actually took to another level. We built out the starter database, backed it up out of SQL, and then the first step in any test run is restore the database to SQL so we can start fresh.  This made sure that we always had exactly the data we needed to start with.  We actually had a whole "test run" that executed once a week that all it did was build out that starter SQL and create the back up so that the rest of the test runs for the week could use "fresh" data.

As Marsha_R said, you can do what you want, but you'll always need to be adding new data into your Excel.  I think your best bet is to look into staging data in some way at the start of your test run.

romanmfs
        Frequent Contributor

Thanks for fast reply!

The reason why I need to use different username and password every time because I also run a separate test beforehead to create a user and then I have to use the same credentials to log on. And every time a new test runs I run it with a different new user name and password, then again I use them to log in.