sarya
Frequent Contributor
14 years ago

how to define variables to be used in project run on a separte machine

Hi,

I have defined variables in my script units as:

var toolpath = "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\abc.exe"

var servername = "vmsa"

If I have to run the same project suite on an XP machine where toolpath = "c:\ProgramFiles\abc.exe" and run on server with servername ="vm2k3" ,then I have to modify the toolpath and servername across all units defined in the script . Can I not define variable somewhere as 'toolpath' and just change at one location instead of changing at every single location in the script. I read the help articles on the variables but did not understood how to define and use the variables.

How can I sove this ? If variables are to be defined in the variables section ,can you please describe the appropriate steps ?

Thanks.

Sumedha

3 Replies

• Hi,

You can obtain the machine name via the Sys.HostName property. As for the program files directory, use the ProgramFiles environment variable. Regarding environment variables, see here.
    sarya
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi Jared,

Thanks for the reply. I read the SQA forum reply for enviroment variables.Can you please give me an example how can we set the program files path on different machine.

for example : - The script line below displays the OS name but how can we make it to display the C:\ProgramFiles path .Does it need to have a special naming convention for different paths that we want to specify .

Log.Message("The used OS is: " + wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%OS%"));

In test complete help files,there is an option TestedApp.Path where it is mentioned "Within the string specifying the path, the environment variable name must be enclosed in % signs, for example, “%USERPROFILE%”, “%WINDIR%”, “%SYSTEMROOT%”. "

How can I know these specific names that needs to be used .How is the "TestedApp.Path" used in the scripts?

Thanks,

Sumedha

.Message("The used OS is: " + wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%OS%"));In test complete help files,there is an option TestedApp.Path where it is mentioned "Within the string specifying the path, the environment variable name must be enclosed in % signs, for example, “”, “”, “”. "How can I know these specific names that needs to be used .How is the "TestedApp.Path" used in the scripts?Thanks,Sumedha
  • Hi,

You need to use the ProgramFiles variable. If you replace %OS% with %ProgramFiles%, this will give you the Program Files path on the current machine.

As for TestedApp.Path, it is a regular read-write string property. You can assign a value to it as to a regular variable (TestedApps.MyApp.Path = "something").