Forum Discussion

salley
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

.exists method

i've a form that has about 100 items and they appear based on some Class, and items could sometimes 50/60 depends on the class code, i want to select if item exists , if not move to next and do the same, i just don't want my script to fail if object not found. is it possible to do it through if then else statement, i'm just not sure what to put in else statement, ex:

if value1.exists then value1.click

if value2.exits then value2.click

and so on

else

End if

End if 

if value 2 not found then my test is failing,,i'm new to this ,,, can somebody help me , i just don't want my test to fail. 

thanks

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You cannot check the "Exists" property of an object that does not exist...  If you think about it, this makes logical sense.

The best way to check for object existence is to use some variation of a WaitNNN method to retrieve the object first and then check for existance. https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-objects/common-tasks/waiting-process-or-window-activation.html#WaitMethods

So, your code would be something on the lines of

value1 = parentObject.WaitAliasChild('objectName', -1);

if value1.exists then value1.click

value2 = parentObject.WaitAliasChild('objectName', -1);

if value2.exists then value2.click

Or some such pattern.

salley
      Frequent Contributor

Thanks, got it. 

another query if i have the below code and i don't want my test to fail, i just want to click whatever option i've available on the screen and move on, how do i do that ,,,,,,,,,,

sTable.Cell(1, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD01").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD01_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(2, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD02").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD02_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(3, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD03").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD03_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(4, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD04").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD04_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(5, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD05").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD05_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(6, 1).Table("conForm_WORK06").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD06_1").Click
      sTable.Cell(7, 1).Table("conForm_ABCD06").Cell(0, 1).RadioButton("conForm_ABCD00_1").Click

lets say i've the above script, but i don't have all the items available on the screen, i just want to click whatever items are available,, Thanks in advance,,,