Forum Discussion

tyingst
New Contributor
14 years ago

WaitChild method, syntax and how does it work?

I have an application that pops up a dialog with an unpredictable number of lines of text. 

The application expects the user to read each line of text -- and does so by making sure the user hits the down-arrow for every text entry.

When the lines of text are exhausted, a button is displayed at the bottom of the dialog -- the user needs to select that button to continue.

My plan was to use code like:

while not Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.WaitChild("btnRepeatTNT", 1000).Exists

Call Aliases.TMDS.FrmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.Keys("[Down]")

wend

Call Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.ClickButton

However, when executing the script, the button pops up, but I never exit the while/wend loop -- it just keeps on down-arrowing ad-infinitum.

The "btnRepeatTNT" object is a child of the .gbTNT. object.

What am I doing wrong?

4 Replies

• Hi,

Actually, WaitChild won't work with mapped objects. You need to use the WaitAliasChild method:

Set obj = Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT

While not obj.WaitAliasChild("btnRepeatTNT", 1000).Exists

Call obj.Keys("[Down]")

Wend

Call obj.btnRepeatTNT.ClickButton

• I think your problem is not re-evaluating the object after the key press down.

What happens is that when you evaluate the expression [Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.WaitChild("btnRepeatTNT", 1000).Exists ] TC returns a stub object (similar to other wait methods, see for example WaitWindow)with Exists = False

After that, the object never gets refreshed to check if now the object does in fact exist

I would add a line this way:

while not Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.WaitChild("btnRepeatTNT", 1000).Exists

Call Aliases.TMDS.FrmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.Keys("[Down]")

Call Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.WaitChild("btnRepeatTNT", 1000)

wend

Call Aliases.TMDS.frmSingleFormAuthorityCP.gbTNT.btnRepeatTNT.ClickButton

Help this helps.