Forum Discussion

jeeejay
Contributor
14 years ago

Unspecified Error

Hello Support Team,

I had a very wierd experience with TestComplete ... something that I have never seen in the last three years (I am on TC 6.53)

I created a project suite named GUITests, added some 'existing' projects to it and ran it using the following command

"C:\Program Files\Automated QA\TestComplete 6\Bin\TestComplete.exe" C:\QATests\GUITests.pjs /r /ns /SilentMode

TC Launched and I could see the Indicator on the top left of the screen  showing progress however; none of the scripts ran and in less than a minute the test run was over with  a balnk log named 'Unspecified' (see image attached)

Following this, I closed TestComplete and went to location to launch the project suite again but it was gone! There was no file or any supporting files (like *.tcLS or *.tcCfg) present!

Astonished, I repeated the procedure only to find the same result! Please advice.

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    It depends upon what you are doing during those tests.

The only time I've personally experienced that error is if I've tried opening more than 64 connections through the Microsoft Jet database engine (more than 64 DDT.CSVDriver's for example).

Check through your code and make sure that you're properly closing database connections and other such things.  Without knowing more detail about how you're executing your tests, that's the best place I can suggest to start.
    KayC
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi, we are experiencing "Unspecified Error" messages too & then Test Complete dies, we dont lose any files or anything like that, but it's interesting that you say you have experienced similar when your using DDT... we are using DDT to access Excel workbooks and although we do close the connection perhaps there is something going wrong? and they are not actually being closed...

Is there a way of checking if there is a connection already opened before trying to open a new one?

or a way of ensuring that they are closed??

kindest regards

K

P.S> should say we are using 7.51 and prior to that have had no issues

• Hi,

To help us investigate the problems, please follow the steps below:

1. Download a free trial version of AQtime 6, which is our profiling tool, from our web site. You can request it on the following page of our web site:

http://www.automatedqa.com/downloads/aqtime/

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command-line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"c:\Program Files\Automated QA\AQtime 6\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the TestComplete.exe file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start profiling.

10. AQtime will start TestComplete and trace all the exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

11. Reproduce the problem in TestComplete.

12. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

13. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file via our Contact Support form.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi Robert / Alex,

I'll try installing AQTime and send the report to you soon. In the meanwhile, please take a look at the pjs file present in the attached zip file and let me know if you find anything wrong with it. It has a lot of visualizer information that I did not delete it on purpose as I wanted to keep the file intact.

Please note that this is a copy of the file that I create and when the tests are done, the file is gone! Even the log files vanish! It's like leaving no evidence after a crime :D

I made use of the OnLogMessage event and re-directed the log messages and remarks to a text file to have see what's being logged and all I see in the file is Exception - Unspecified error.

I really need this thing to work ... please help.

Regards,

GJ
  • Hi,

The PJS file you've posted here is not enough. Follow the instructions from our previous post.
  • Hi,

These two dialogs (images attached) appeared on the same machine on which I get the Unspecified Error issue.

I clicked 'Yes' on both of them and TestComplete.exe got terminated.

Does the message got to do anything with the issue I am facing?

- GJ

• Hi,

I cannot say for sure whether this issue and the initial one are related. As for the latest issue, most probably, it is caused by the fact that TestComplete's process was abnormally terminated previously. Let me know if TestComplete does not work properly after you choose "Yes" for such dialogs.

BTW, the latest issue can also be caused by a malfunctioning hard disk on the problematic PC. So, if you suppose that this situation can take place, check whether the issue can be reproduced on another PC and check the hard disk.
    anhvu
    Frequent Contributor

I've experience that this error occured because of the process is not found.

Ex:  I declar a parameter name "remain_time4" and assign it to a property. If I stop the app at "Delay(3000)" manually, TestComplete will not recognize the "remain_time4" and show the error and stop my scripts.

if(Mobile["Device"](device)["Process"]("com.sling")["Exists"]==true)
    {
    var pSlingTV1 = Mobile["Device"](device)["Process"]("com.sling")
    pSlingTV1["Refresh"]()
    //Check the video is playing or not
    var remain_time3 = aqString["Trim"](pSlingTV1["RootLayout"]("")["View"]("drawer_layout")["Layout"]("player_controls")["Layout"]("NO_ID")["Layout"]("seekbar")["TextView"]("seekbar_time_remaining_bottom")["ControlText"])

Delay(3000)

var remain_time4 = aqString["Trim"](pSlingTV1["RootLayout"]("")["View"]("drawer_layout")["Layout"]("player_controls")["Layout"]("NO_ID")["Layout"]("seekbar")["TextView"]("seekbar_time_remaining_bottom")["ControlText"])
    if(remain_time3 == remain_time4)
    {
    Log["Error"](" THE VIDEO IS NOT PLAYING. RESTART THE VIDEO.")
    GeneralFunction["stopAppwithADBShell"](device,"com.sling")
    GeneralFunction["openAppwithADBShell"](device,"com.sling","com.movenetworks.StartupActivity")
    view_1st_Video_with_Sling_TV(device)
    }
    else
    {
    Log["Message"]("THE VIDEO IS STILL PLAYING!")
    }

}