Forum Discussion

jeeejay
Contributor
14 years ago

System Call Failed

Hi,

I have been using TestComplete since version 4.x , currently I am on 6.53. All this while I have never come across this 'System Call Failed' error message.

Randomly, for any test, on some line of code the test stops and there is an exception logged and 'System Call Failed' is found printed in the Remarks pane.

It won't occur when I re-run the tests ... all checks will run as expected.

I have tried to derive some logic as to when exactly it happens but haven't been able to draw any conclusions.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

GJ.

7 Replies

• Hi GJ,

Unfortunately, there's no general solution. Exceptions can occur for different reasons. To investigate the issue, we need to reproduce it on our side. Could you please describe your problem in detail and provide us with the steps to reproduce it here? When is the message displayed? What happens after the message is displayed? Could you please post a screenshot demonstrating the message here?

BTW, the current version of the product is TestComplete 7.52. It is available for downloading from our web site and from the ClientServices portal. You can try using this version and check whether the issue occurs with TC 7.52.

• Hi,

I have submitted a support request for this and attached the log generated by AQTime. I am hoping that this issue gets resolved as it is affecting our regression tests.
  • Hi GJ,

We have received your message, and currently, we are investigating the situation. Let's continue our conversation in that way.

BTW, we still need the information I requested in my previous post. Could you please provide us with it?

• Hi Allen,

When is the message displayed?

>> When the exception occurs ... 'System Call Failed' is the string returned by exception.description and is displayed in the Remarks panel of the log.

What happens after the message is displayed?

>> Since it occurs in the Main function, none of the following scripts in the project are executed and the next project in the project suite starts running. If there are no more projects in the queue, the project suite run stops.

Could you please post a screenshot demonstrating the message here?

>> I had attached a screenshot with with the AQTime log ... I have attached it again.

Could you please describe your problem in detail and provide us with the steps to reproduce it here?

>> You can try creating a FileSystemObject, create a text file, open it (programmatically) and get it's handle, write something to it but don't close it (purposely, for the sake of reproducing the issue). On the very next line call a function that open it again ... you might get this exception.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue.

-GJ

• Hi GJ,

Thank you for the details.

We are waiting for your reply to the M0072507 message. Let's continue our conversation via e-mail.
  • Hi David,

Sure ... I'll continue exchanging e-mails.

I just want to mention one point here ... can this exception come from the Call method of the Runner object?

We use Runner.CallMethod a lot in our scripts.

- GJ

• Hi GJ,

Actually, the exception can occur on any line. That is why, in our e-mail message, we asked you to clarify this. 

We are still waiting for your response via e-mail.