Forum Discussion

wfetherolf
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Rebooting Host System in Network Suite

I've got a small project in a network suite with three slave projects and a master project.  I'd like to be able to reboot the system in between each job and run the next job when the system comes back up.  I was hoping to be able to use synchpoints in the function that I supply to the aqEnvironment.RebootAndContinue function, but it doesn't seem to be working.  Am I doing something wrong, or am I assuming that what I want to do is not the way the functionality was designed?  I've attached a copy of my project.  Thanks in advance for any help.

5 Replies

• Hi,

To reboot a slave computer after a job execution is over, you can just choose the Reboot computer item in the Action after run column for the last task in the job.

wfetherolf
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm having issues with that.  If the first job in my network suite calls for a reboot, the subsequent jobs fail to run.  Can't I use RebootAndContinue to set the SynchPoint to tell the other projects about the progress of the tests?
    wfetherolf
    Occasional Contributor
    I've attempted to use aqEnvironment.RebootAndContinue on my slave machine, and I continue to get errors where it seems that the slave machine doesn't have permissions to submit the function call to be executed after the reboot.  I'm having difficulties with TestComplete/Execute waiting for the slave machine to come back after the reboot before attempting to execute the next job in the suite. 
    wfetherolf
    Occasional Contributor
    I've worked around this issue, but it would be nice if we could query the host machine to determine the state of the machine (starting up, shutting down, available, unavailable) so we could determine if the host machine is available to execute tests.  I've seen the NetworkSuite.Hosts.Verify function, and it doesn't provide enough information.  It says that the host is available when the host is in a "shutting down" state.
  • Hi Will,

I have talked to our developers and found out that the RebootAndContinue method cannot be used within a network suite. We'll add this note to the correponding help topic.

The only way to reboot computers involved in distributed testing is to set the Action after run option to Reboot computer.

To reboot the computers after job execution is over, follow the steps below:

1. Set the Action after run option to Reboot computer for each task in a job.

2. Add the Job.Run method to the test and specify the method's WaitForCompletion parameter to True.

3. Add the Delay method to the test. This method lets you delay the script execution until the computers restart. To know what time period to specify in the method's parameter, you need to know how long it takes for your computers to reboot. This way, you will be sure that the hosts are ready to continue running the tests.

4. Use the Job.Run method to run the next job.