Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Light weight execution

Hello

i am exploring TestComplete. i dont have any prior experience of using it. I have a question

TestComplete creates a project with many tests, these tests can be run in to another machine through TestExecute. The project files contain lot of binary files, that would work well with the source control system we have (e.g. operations like merging). What i want is to write scripts that make use of TestComplete SDK, so that i can have simple script files that are easy to handle in source control system. My question are,

what kind of functionality does TestComplete SDK provide in general that could be use full in 'functional testing' e.g. database wrappers, memory checkers etc. 

Can i write scripts that i can run on a machine using TestExecute (as i said i dont like project files)

//Rizwan

1 Reply

• Hi Rizwan,

TestComplete projects do not contain any binary files. The only exception is images that are part of Visualizer and test logs. Also, you can add your own objects to the Files collection.

TestComplete SDK allows you creating a custom plug-in for TestComplete. This can be a runtime object or a panel integrated into TestComplete GUI.

Please note that it is possible to create Script Extensions which are also can be added to TestComplete in order to extend its functionality. These extensions can be created within TestComplete itself and they do not require compiling. You can find information on this functionality in the Script Extensions help topic.

If you want to work with TestComplete from external applications, you can do this using the tool's command-line parameter or COM object. More information can be found in the TestComplete Command Line and Working With TestComplete via COM - Overview.

Moreover, you can work with your existing code from TestComplete by using the DLL Access, CLR Bridge and Java Bridge features.