Forum Discussion

CHolman
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Internet explorer failing to re-open when running tests in sequence (as test items)

I've created a series of self contained web tests.. e.g 'Load Browser, Run Tests, Close Browser'. 

I'm using IE11 to run all my tests. 

When i run these individually, they work fine. But when running them in sequence using test items, it will fail after the first test. 

The error message(s) i get are: 

'The browser is already running' 

'Cannot obtain the window with the windows class 'IEFrame', window caption '*' and index 0. See additional info for details'

'The object does not exist. See additional information for details. 

'The test execution war interrupted' 

Any idea why it would fail to reopen IE? Really frustrating me! If i run them individually it closes down/reopens without a problem. 

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

One of the reasons why I hate using IE11 in automated testing... as with many IE versions, iexplore stays memory resident, even when the web pages are closed.

What you're going to need to do is check to see if iexplore is memory resident before you attempt to launch the browser. Once you've checked that, you can then open your web page.

jgabriel
      New Contributor

How do you check if IE is memory resident?

tristaanogre wrote:

One of the reasons why I hate using IE11 in automated testing... as with many IE versions, iexplore stays memory resident, even when the web pages are closed.

What you're going to need to do is check to see if iexplore is memory resident before you attempt to launch the browser. Once you've checked that, you can then open your web page.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor
        var ieProcess = Sys.WaitProcess('iexplore*', 10000)
        if (ieProcess.Exists){
            Log.Message('IE is memory resident')
        }
    kaiiii
    Regular Contributor

The reason is you close the Browser but it does'nt close from task bar instantly, that's why toy got this error.
    for solution you can use normally delay like (Delay 10000) after browser close method or can make a  function for it also.
    try once