Forum Discussion

10 years ago

IE: "Browser" vs. "Process"

Hi!

We want to test our web application in Internet Explorer. On my computer (Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10, TestComplete 10.10) the TestComplete does not see the application's objects in the Object Browser, if the IE is "Process". Sometimes when the IE is "Browser", everything works fine. There is no problem on other computers (Windows 7, Internet Explorer 9 and 11).

It is totally random if it is "Process" or "Browser".

When is the IE a "Process" and when a "Browser"? What should I do to make things work?

4 Replies

• I eventually figured this out, sorry it took so long to post my solution.

There are 2 "Process Filters", one is accessed via a button on the Object Browser tab and one is accessed via Default\Current Project Properties. They appear to do the same thing but they do not. If you're having the issue with IE showing up as a Process instead of a Browser, you need to check the "Process Filter" in your projects properties NOT the Process Filter on Object Browser. Sound confusing? That's because it is, I think it'd be helpful if they use changed the wording.

Anyway...go here...

Tools -> Default (or Current) Project Properties -> Project -> Open Applications -> Process Filter

The easiest way to see if this is the culprint, swtich the "Process filter mode:" dropdown to "Use all processes", click 'OK' and then go check your object browser again, IE should now show up as a Browser now not a Process.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Hi,

In any case, either Process or Browser, TC should work with both the objects.

Its how you call the objects in your tests.

There could be other considerations though,

1. Check if other browser window is already not running

2. Check if you have applied any process filter in object browser panel

Have you tried restarting TC and checking if it works.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi,

To say the truth, I've never seen such behaviour, so no other ideas at the moment except the usual ones:

a) Try to start TestComplete using 'As Administrator' option;

b) Try to upgrade to the latest 10.40 version.