Forum Discussion

nisgupta
Valued Contributor
7 years ago

Difference between Add a new project to a project Suite and To add an existing project to a project

I was just going through the documents as shown below 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/managing-projects/creating.html

Add a new project to a project Suite  and To add an existing project to a project suite 

I found some difference . In both the cases assume that we have created a new project suite,

when we add new project to a project suite then on the disk it create project folder under the project suite folder .

When we add an existing project to a project suite then on the disk there is no project folder under the project suite folder

Form testcomplete UI I don't see much  difference in terms of running and 

Is it ok if I tried to add the existing projects like this ? Will it be a problem  in the future ?

The reason is I have created the projects sand save in another directories. Now as per our policies I need to put the projects in another directories 

I am trying to create new project suites which create the suite folders in the those directories and then Adding the existing items i.e projects.

Please update 

Thanks

Nishchal

Form testcomplete UI don't have much difference 

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

The Project Suite, in Test Complete, is simply a container in which to place projects that you want to have execute together.  You can dictate the order in which those projects execute, read the logs from a Suite level, and even have some Suite level variables.  But the "work" that is done by TestComplete is all on the project level.  You are correct that a new project creates a new project suite, but that's just an architectural thing in TestComplete.

The way you're doing things is just fine.  The projects are self contained.  There is no need to move them to folders under the suite.

nisgupta
        Valued Contributor

I am seeing some drawbacks with Add Existing Item Feature in TestComplete

There are some function/libraries that I have created which are reusable . When we create new project then we add those functions/libraries using Add Existing Item. When push this project in Source version Control . After this when we execute the tests build through Jenkins then we get the error the function is located to some other files/directories . Due to this I have to copy those functions/libraries to the the same folder where project is located.

My concern is if TestComplete provide the ability to add those function in the newly created project using the feature "Add Existing Item" which is easy but then it will create such issue after checking in the TestComplete tests to Source version control and execute through Jenkins or other build management software.

Thanks

Nishchal.

nisgupta
    Valued Contributor

continue with the previous statement ... From testcomplete UI I don't see much difference in terms of runnig the tests.

Thanks

NG