Forum Discussion

asavoia
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

problem with a drag command

hi everyone, I have a problem with the drag command.
since I don't want to use coordinates, is it possible to use drag in some alternative method?
I don't want to use the coordinates because I wouldn't want to have problems if I have to change the screen resolution where they run my test.

• The drag command in testcomplete needs co-ordinates.  You need to know the object to be dragged and the destination and that is, for the Drag method, co-ordinate based.

but!  Never fear... I've got a code for that.

In Javascript:

function dragCalculatedDistance(startObject, destinationObject) {
        var startPoint, targetPoint, dragX, dragY;
        // Drag from the center of object A to the center of object B

startPoint = startObject.WindowToScreen(startObject.Width/2, startObject.Height/2);
        targetPoint = destinationObject.WindowToScreen(destinationObject.Width/2, destinationObject.Height/2);

dragX = targetPoint.X - startPoint.X;
        dragY = targetPoint.Y - startPoint.Y;

startObject.Drag(-1, -1, dragX, dragY); 
    }

As noted in the comments, this will drag from roughly the center of the starting object to the center of the destination object.

4 Replies

BenoitB
    Community Hero

Do you drag on same object, on different object ?

You can use coordinates based upon object ScreenLeft and ScreenTop properties.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

The drag command in testcomplete needs co-ordinates.  You need to know the object to be dragged and the destination and that is, for the Drag method, co-ordinate based.

but!  Never fear... I've got a code for that.

In Javascript:

function dragCalculatedDistance(startObject, destinationObject) {
          var startPoint, targetPoint, dragX, dragY;
          // Drag from the center of object A to the center of object B

startPoint = startObject.WindowToScreen(startObject.Width/2, startObject.Height/2);
          targetPoint = destinationObject.WindowToScreen(destinationObject.Width/2, destinationObject.Height/2);

dragX = targetPoint.X - startPoint.X;
          dragY = targetPoint.Y - startPoint.Y;

startObject.Drag(-1, -1, dragX, dragY); 
      }

As noted in the comments, this will drag from roughly the center of the starting object to the center of the destination object.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

As per the documentation for the .Drag() method, initial coordinates are "relative to the object, it is not a screen coordinate." The distance to execute dragging for is also calculated as a relative distance between two objects.

So, (as it was mentioned by BenoitB), proper use of relevant .ScreenLeft/.ScreenTop/.Left/.Top properties of the required objects will provide you with resolution-agnostic code for .Drag().

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for helping all!

Hi asavoia! Please mark the asnwer that helped you solve the issue as a solution:smileyhappy: