Forum Discussion

CMEPTb
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Which port(s) TestComplete uses for communication with TestComplete8 service?

Guys,

Could you please hint which port(s) TestComplete IDE uses for communication with TestComplete8 service (istalled on slave machines)?

Let me explain the situation: I have two VM - one on my PC and one at company's virtual center.

Problem here that I'm able to "verify" host only one of them - that run at my PC.

Attempt to verify host at company's vc results: "Server not started." error.

I suspect that reason of that behavior in some network restrictions and (probably) closed ports.

VM at virtual center belongs to another vlan.

My cfg:

Test Complete 8.5 Ent at Win7x64

Both slave machines - WinXP sp3 x32

I'm able to start TC or TestExecute on both slave machines (i.e. 1947 port is opened on both machines).

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

CMEPTb
    Occasional Contributor
    Unfortunately, you are wrong Allen.

After investigation I found that TC establish communication via 135 port and start to scan ports in range 1024-5000

That indicates that it probably uses DCOM technology for communicating with TestComplete8 service.

To make it clear - that technology used for "verification" and "Copy project to slave" operations

And yes - it uses RDP protocol for executing scripts remotely.

Allen, please contact with developers and confirm guess. If I was right - that information MUST be mentioned in help.

Thanks in advance,

Alexey

P.S. Eventually, I'm still not able to use these features, but it could be not TC fault but our network restrictions - I'm still investigation this issue.
  • Hi Alexey,

You are right, the port is used indeed. However, it is used by RPC Port Mapper. When an RPC connection is established, local RPC service sends a request to remote RPC service on this port. After that RPC Port Mapper on the remote machine sends the port number which will be used for further communication. This port number cannot be controlled from application's side.

If you suspect that the problem is related to firewall settings, you can try limiting the port number range used by RPC Port Mapper, and explicitly allowing communication for this port range. It should be possible to limit the port range used by RPC Endpoint Mapper, but I have found the steps only for server OS versions:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732839.aspx

Probably, your network administrator may help you set this up for WinXP.

If configuring the firewall does not help, let's try to isolate the problem:

- What happens if you try to verify a Slave VM located in the same VLAN?

- Does it work if you try to verify a different VM in that another VLAN?

- Try setting up the Remote Event Log service to work between the Master and Slave computers (it also uses RPC) - this will help to check whether the problem is specific to TestComplete. You will find a description of how this can be configured in the following Microsoft TechNet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732839.aspx

Let me know about the results.