Forum Discussion

MegO
Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete is regularly causing Outlook to crash. Is there a solution for this?

Hi, I am trying to set up some tests to test the integration of our product with Outlook. However, with TestComplete open Outlook is regularly crashing. Has anyone had an issue similar to this testing Outlook integrations with their own products?

7 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

Can you provide more information? Is there a specific error you're getting? Code examples for how you're trying to open Outlook? Outlook and OS versions? 

MegO
      Contributor

Hi, there is no specific error message I am seeing, Outlook just closes with no prompts or warnings. I am using Office 2013 on a Windows 10 machine and opening Outlook via TestComplete.

Chaste01
        Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem, it seems to be a problem with Windows10 operating system with Oulook2013.  For your information, I'm also running the exact same code on our Win2012R2 server with Outlook2013 and no problem occurs, everything is working fine.

function isMessageReceived2010(accountName, senderEMail, eMailSubject)

{

var OutlookApplication = Sys.OleObject("Outlook.Application");

var NamespaceMAPI = OutlookApplication.GetNamespace("MAPI");

In execution, it stops (crashes) at :  var OutlookApplication = Sys.OleObject("Outlook.Application");

Error:  JScript runtime error

Could you please help us out and find a solution to this important problem ?

Regards

Stéphane 

HD
    Contributor

I have the same issue. I am using:

Windows 10

TestComplete 12

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus

Under EventViewer I can see that "\bin\extensions\tcTextSpy.dll" is the one that's causing outlook to crash.

How  can I fix this?

MegO
    Contributor

Hi,

We have narrowed down the issue to property checkpoints. Has anybody got a solution to this?

SB4100
    New Contributor

I have recently discovered this also.  I am not automating outlook.exe whatsoever.  I do have a TC script running, checking if a (non-outlook) process has an "Exists" property of "True" or "False", then it delays for 1 second before checking again.

While this is running, if I switch to Outlook, it will often crash.

Using Splunk, I searched for [outlook.exe TaskCategory="Application Crashing Events"], which shows events from the system event log.  Here is one such event that just happened (where Outlook crashed):

3/21/18
    1:51:58.000 PM
    03/21/2018 01:51:58 PM
    LogName=Application
    SourceName=Application Error
    EventCode=1000
    EventType=2
    Type=Error
    ComputerName=<omitted>
    TaskCategory=Application Crashing Events
    OpCode=Info
    RecordNumber=13392
    Keywords=Classic
    Message=Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.8431.2215, time stamp: 0x5a745d5e
    Faulting module name: tcTextSpy.dll, version: 12.0.122.7, time stamp: 0x57990e78
    Exception code: 0xc000000d
    Fault offset: 0x0003325c
    Faulting process id: 0x2d60
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3be0bccdb9687
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\smartbear\testcomplete 12\bin\extensions\tcTextSpy.dll
    Report Id: f5aa3c4a-33f2-46fc-87a6-3def8b3c3408
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: