Forum Discussion

WFSIToperations
New Contributor
7 years ago

How do I install SoapUI without Java

Downloaded product: SoapUI Windows Zip (64-bit Java  not included)

Filename: SoapUI-5.3.0-windows-bin.zip

We have users that require specific versions of Java and I wanted to install SoapUI without Java, but the zip file doesn't include an installer or setup executable.  I understand that I need at least Java 7, and I will have at least Java 7 on the machines.  I jut don't want the SoapUI to install another version of Java 7+ on the machine during the install.

How do I go about installing this program without an installer?

7 Replies

fredsvar
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

WFSIToperations wrote:

How do I go about installing this program without an installer?

You don't need to run an installer. You download it, unzip it somewhere and run soapui.bat from the bin directory. Make sure you have JAVA_HOME setup to point to the java you want to use.

WFSIToperations
      New Contributor

This option seems to work, however the Command Prompt Window runs in the background.  If there is an open project and you accidentally close the command prompt window, SOAP closes immediately without prompting to save you file.

I'm just presenting this concern in anticipation of how users will respond to using it this way.

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        If user closes SoapUI, then it will definitely ask if user wants to exit. If yes, then it saves the projects.

If user started soapui using command prompt, then user closes command prompt, then command prompt does not know about the application, it gets closed. User might know what he is closing and take care of saving the projects before doing so.

In case of accidental, yeah, nothing is saved. It is painful if some one loses work.

There is a preference, where user can set the time interval, so that soapui takes care of saving the projects automatically at the given time interval. Save the preferences.

At least, less chance of losing more work.

lakshmiarun

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out.

Try to install the 32-bit installer. I guess it doesn't come with the bundled Java.

Thanks

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    I always use zip version. In fact this is the easiest than installer.
    Did you follow fredsvar instructions?
      groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

I may have to try the zip install at some point and see how that works. I usually rely on the installer. 

fredsvar
    It is not the preferred way (if you don't mind having the bundled JRE installed, the installer version is a better choice even when you are using an external Java) but that is how windows and bat files work. It is possible to get around it by calling start instead of just the bat file but I think you will still get a console window.