Forum Discussion

thowo
New Contributor
3 years ago

Run ReadyAPI-Test-Projekts in the OpenSource-SoapUI-Testrunner?

Can projects that were developed under ReadyAPI-Test run in the OpenSource version of the SoapUI-Testrunner?

7 Replies

_ivanovich_
    Frequent Contributor

I tried before and it wasn' t working for me.

Now i don't know if there is update about this.

richie
      Community Hero

Hey thowo 

Exactly how are you running the testRunner?

Are you just talking about executing the project in a headless mode or are you talking about running it from a CI/CD/CT environment? 

What sort of project is it?  Is it a composite project or a flat .xml project?

You have to be careful when creating a project in ReadyAPI! that is going to be/could be executed from within opensource SoapUI because within the project you can't use pro/ReadyAPI! functionality wihtin the project - stuff like the data driven functionality, event handlers, etc.

As long as your ReadyAP! project doesn't include this functionality, you should be able to open the project in SoapUI and execute the tests, whether via headless/commandline testRunner or via the GUI mode - i did this 2 years ago and it worked then.

HOWEVER - opensource SoapUI doesn't support composite (unflattened) ReadyAPI! project files.  The project files need to be of the flat .xml type before SoapUI can deal with it, but if you've converted your ReadyAPI! project to the composite option, this won't work.

ta

rich

thowo
        New Contributor

Hi rich,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The testRunner runs in the open source version on a Linux server. It is correct that the project is running there in headless mode.

We are not currently using the ReadyAPI-test. It is a SoapUI open source project. We are now considering having ReadyAPI supporting the development, but would like to work with the open source testRunner on the various test servers. Then we would only need a ReadyAPI license or two for development.

In the case of the project, we are more concerned with the more comfortable operation under ReadyAPI than the extended functions. So we would have to get there with the flat XMLs.

Best regards
        Thomas

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    If that is the case, no one would pay for the additional tool license fees. Isn't it? Smartbear puts efforts and resources to develop the pro software with feature rich and that enables organizations to achieve automation with ease and less coding. That's direct revenue loss if this is possible, IMO.

The opposite is true i.e., projects developed in SoapUI can be run in ReadyAPI. But, why would any one do this as it doesn't make sense. No need to pay while one can run in free tool.

ZDGN
      Contributor

nmrao Why being so rude ? Did you try to understant what thowo said ?

We are now considering having ReadyAPI supporting the development, but would like to work with the open source testRunner on the various test servers. Then we would only need a ReadyAPI license or two for development.

Used to work for a customer where everyone was using SoapUI but only 5 of us did have a ReadyAPI licence.
      We could develop easily our tests with some great features ReadyPAI offers (without Data Source, or any other exclusive features of course, except for special cases).
      You can image that our developpement was realy much easier ğŸ˜‰

By the way, yes, you can execute your test with SoapUI, just keep in mind you'll have some warning into the console because of ReadyAPI informations stocked inside the project file and also what richie told.

Keep calm & test on.

David.

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    I think one needs to get the right type of license in order to avoid issues with usage of tool to develop with team of engineers and test execution on test machines.