Forum Discussion

chauf
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

How to work in a big team using git

Hi,

we are working with about 25 people on a product that should be tested with soap-ui. We use git as repository and after some weeks of working with SOAU-UI I wonder how others deal with code repositories and big teams. The issue we are facing is, that if one opens the project (composite) many files (about 50 Files currently) are changed because of a timestamp lastOpend. If one adds a test case and runs it, almost all files (> 150 Files) of the project are changed. This makes it very hard to find the files that are really changed related to my changes and if commit and push all files it is very likely that we have allot of conflicts.

Are we the only ones that having that problem or did we do anything wrong?

Regards,

Christian

5 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

As I understood, currently all of your team members are working in the trunk directory of your project.

The better way is to create a separate branch for each team member. Now all changes from particular user will be committed into its own branch. And you can always merge required branches with the main trunk as well as other can update their branches from there.

chauf
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. No we also work on branches but still if you got so many files that changes you need to take care what files to commit or you will face many conflicts when you want to merge the branch back into master. 

We all work in parallel and the branches are typically base on master. Because every files changes for example because of the lastOpend timestamp and not only the files I was realy working on it is very likely that the next one will have conflicts because his timestamp is different to mine and both are different to the master...

regards,

Christian