Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Update Definition Question / Suggestion

Hello,
This is going back to the issue of when a WSDL changes how to update the requests that are present in testcases.

If a WSDL changes I do 'update definition' and check 'recreate requests'. This will ensure that my interface has the definition from the latest schema.

I then go to each of my requests in each of my testcases to click 'recreate a default request...' and select 'yes' for 'keeping existing values'. This will ensure that if new element were present in the WSDL they will be added in the request. I think this will also remove elements from the request if they are no longer in the schema ??

so First, is my assumption correct that the above scenario does indeed update my testcase request objects to reference the latest schema ?

If so, couldn't there be a feature that will recursively call 'recreate default request ...' on each request in each testcase inside the project. This function will be called after 'update definition' and will ensure that the new schema is pushed to all the requests.

Thanks

Ali

8 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

if you select the "Recreate Requests" option in the Update Definition dialog, this should update all requests and related TestRequests in your project, I've also added a "Keep Existing Values" option to the latest snapshot..

please let me know if the above is not working as described/expected!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Hello Ole,
    I downloaded the latest snapshot and I dont think that 'Update Definition' is working as you describe in your post. I had request in my testcase which has some values which are different from the values in the interface.

My understanding of your post is that If i do 'Update Definition' on the interface and check 'Create new request' 'recreate requests' 'recreate optional', then my testcase request value should get updated with the values in the interface definition.

This is not happening. Am i doing anything wrong.

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

no.. it sounds to me as if you are doing as I wrote.. this should basically have the same effect as if manually going into the testrequest after updating the interface and selecting the "Recreate Request" button.. I'll see if I can reproduce somehow..

thanks for reporting!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Ole,
    When I select 'Keep Existing Values' in the 'UpdateDefinition' dialog box. Does this mean to 'Keep Existing Values' of the interface or 'Keep Existing Values' in all occurence of the requests inside testcases ??

Thanks

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

this is the same as when updating a request and answering yes to the "Keep Existing Values" question when updating a request in the request editor, ie the contents of attributes/elements that have the same qname/path are kept.. the content of elements/attributes that have somehow changed (moved, renamed, etc..) is still lost when updating..

hope this clarifies.. !

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Thanks for the clarification Ole. Were you able to repro the issue with 'Update Definition'. We are about to move to out next iteration and would really appreciate if this issue can be addressed on a higher priority.

Thanks

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

not yet.. with my current setup my testrequests get updated as well.. hmm.. can you post a project-file for an "old" wsdl and a new wsdl to update to (which doesn't correctly update the associated testrequests)?

If so, huge thanks in advance!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

A quick question here; have you had the "Keep Existing" option selected when updating your Interface?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com