Ask a Question

Unable to have different parameter types for the same param in the same service

SOLVED
cromzinc
Occasional Visitor

Unable to have different parameter types for the same param in the same service

I updated ReadyAPI to 2.6.0, and since when I edit a parameter type (template -> query) for a request in the project, it carries over to my tests perfectly. Soon as I go back to the project and edit a different request parameter type, the prior one reverts evertime.

I have tried saving in between edits, saving and exiting the app, saving all projects. Nothing seems to work, I just can't manage to retain the parameter type I set on a request. 

Any suggestions to remedy this issue, or what I may be doing incorrectly is very welcomed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
richie
Community Hero

Re: Editing request parameter type not saving

Hey @cromzinc 

I'm unsure if I'm misunderstanding but I think you're hitting an issue I noticed quite recently and it is a known issue with ReadyAPI!

The hierarchy to the objects in your 'Projects' tab is as follows:

Service >> Resource >> Method >> Request

I noticed that if I created multiple Resource's in the same service with different multiple query parameters, then the most recent change overrode previous ones.

So if I have 2 resources within the same service and they have say the following parms

Resource1

APIKey - header type
APIClient - header type
QueryParmX - query type
QueryParmY - query type

Resource2

APIKey - header type
APIClient - header type
QueryParmA - query type
QueryParmB - query type

Then when I went into the SoapUI tab and tried to create a REST request based on Resource1, even though I select Resource1 via the 'New REST Request' modal window, when the REST request is created in my testcase, the parameters are those found in Resource2!

It's a known issue according to what I've read in the help somewhere.  The way around this was to create separate Services for each of the requests - despite the fact that really - its the same service, same resource with different query parms.

The way I got around this was to create separate Service level requests for each of the requests with different query parms - that way, when you select the request in the SoapUI tab - it does select possess the correct parameters.

I've attached 2 images so you can see - I have one with a QueryParm entitled ID, the other is the same request with a different QueryParm entitled MUID.  When I tried to create these within the same Service - it didn't work - it behaved as I describe above - so this was way I found around the problem.

Admittedly, its not very efficient - but it does get the job done....perhaps one of the other forum members might have a better idea?  but this is the way I handled it! 🙂

I hope I've been clear,

Cheers,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
richie
Community Hero

Hey @cromzinc 

I'm unsure if I'm misunderstanding but I think you're hitting an issue I noticed quite recently and it is a known issue with ReadyAPI!

The hierarchy to the objects in your 'Projects' tab is as follows:

Service >> Resource >> Method >> Request

I noticed that if I created multiple Resource's in the same service with different multiple query parameters, then the most recent change overrode previous ones.

So if I have 2 resources within the same service and they have say the following parms

Resource1

APIKey - header type
APIClient - header type
QueryParmX - query type
QueryParmY - query type

Resource2

APIKey - header type
APIClient - header type
QueryParmA - query type
QueryParmB - query type

Then when I went into the SoapUI tab and tried to create a REST request based on Resource1, even though I select Resource1 via the 'New REST Request' modal window, when the REST request is created in my testcase, the parameters are those found in Resource2!

It's a known issue according to what I've read in the help somewhere.  The way around this was to create separate Services for each of the requests - despite the fact that really - its the same service, same resource with different query parms.

The way I got around this was to create separate Service level requests for each of the requests with different query parms - that way, when you select the request in the SoapUI tab - it does select possess the correct parameters.

I've attached 2 images so you can see - I have one with a QueryParm entitled ID, the other is the same request with a different QueryParm entitled MUID.  When I tried to create these within the same Service - it didn't work - it behaved as I describe above - so this was way I found around the problem.

Admittedly, its not very efficient - but it does get the job done....perhaps one of the other forum members might have a better idea?  but this is the way I handled it! 🙂

I hope I've been clear,

Cheers,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

Thanks for the detailed reply, Richie!

@cromzinc, is this what you are looking for?

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya
SmartBear Community and Education Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: