Forum Discussion

joelgluth
Contributor
15 years ago

Things we love about SoapUI

Nearly all the threads on this forum are help requests (even though those should really go in the other one).

Those that aren't are mostly complaints.

The thing is, though I file bug reports and ask for help as much as anyone, I really do like SoapUI.

So... what do you really like about it?

I'll get the ball rolling

- I like the way you can look at a piece of an XML response, and through the GUI, semi-magically create a property transfer with the XPath already done for you.

- I like the way you can get to nearly everything through Groovy, if you have the patience to look through the JavaDoc.

- I like the fact that the developers fixed the command-line interface when I filed a bug, allowing me to get back to work using the nightly build, when I was otherwise screwed.

2 Replies

• Oh, come on people.

More: I love the fact that I can write a bunch of functional test steps, then call them from a Groovy script. Then, for free, I get a Load Test. Even the fact that they're getting called from a Groovy script doesn't stop the steps appearing in a load test report with accurate data about how long they took to run, how often they individually got called, how much data was involved and how many times they failed.

And that (for a while, I wish this was configurable) the log entries for those failures magically click through to data on what went out and what came back, for that step.
    sinnes_1
    Occasional Contributor
    I love the groovy scripts. I feel as though they give me the freedom to do nearly anything I need to. It makes dealing with any webservice very easy and flexible!

I love load tests. They make my life very easy

I like being able to quickly make a sample request for a webservice, and update it on the following releases. If I just need to make simple requests, I can do it without needing to build a test suite.

I've seriously become a major advocate for soapUI. My current job is my first exposure to an SOA based system, and soap has become an invaluable test artifact.