Forum Discussion

zoidberg
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

SoapUI Silent uninstallation not working - Requires JRE/JDK

Hi,

I installed ReadyAPI 2.8.0 silent without any problems on Windows 10 Enterprise.

A silent uninstallation using parameter -q always returns error 83. If I start the uninstallation manually the error message is:

No JVM could be found on your system.

Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME

to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from www.java.com

%ProgramFiles%\Smartbear\ReadyAPI-2.8.0\jre exists.

Currently no JVM was installed, I upgraded from 2.6.0 and it wasn't needed there.

Is this a bug or is this a new "feature" to force enterprise users to buy java subscription?

Kind regards

• Hi richie 

there is no problem licensing the java version but there is just one installed java version allowed by company's policy. So either x86 or x64. If the uninstaller would work correctly it would use the delivered java located in program files directory and the use could install an "additionally" x86 version of java.

I contacted application owner and hopefully this annoying bug will be closed in the near future.

Kind regards,

zoidberg

4 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi zoidberg,

You don't "buy" java....it's free and even if it wasn't Smartbear don't own Oracle (who do own java) so the logic on that one doesn't work either.....

Seeing as you're getting a warning on the uninstall, have you tried installing a separate java runtime, ensure you env variables (Path variable) point to this additional java instance. From the description you provide, I'm guessing, that'll probably fix your uninstall

Nice one,

Rich
      zoidberg
      New Contributor

Hi richie,

at first thanks for your reply.

No, JRE is not free for enterprise users anymore and no I didn't set the env variable because I don't know which other software uses the same installer.

Currently I didn't try to use a "real "x64 JRE installation. That's why I opened this thread because an installation without JRE instalallation worked and an uninstallation didn't.

Kind regards,

zoidberg

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey zoidberg,

Ok ive done a bit of reading..i was unaware of oracle licensing jre/jdk. Its fine for enterprises to use the free version to design and test software. Its not fine for enterprises to support enterprise software with an unlicensed version.

When installing jre/jdk, it should update your Path variable (adding in the path to your java executable) without any actions from yourself.

I'd raise a support ticket with Smartbear if the install works but the q uninstall manifests issues....theyll want to know about this to fix in future versions

Cheers,

Rich