Forum Discussion

KarelHusa
Champion Level 3
3 years ago
Solved

ReadyAPI license on both host OS and VirtualBox machine

Hello,

for different project purposes I have Windows 10 as my host operating system and Linux virtual machine hosted on the same laptop.

May I install ReadyAPI to both environments and share a single ReadyAPI license, given it's the same computer?

Best regards,

Karel

• Hello, richie is correct here. For a fixed license the answer would be no. The license is bound to a specific user account and cannot be used on other accounts even if they are on the same machine.

For a Floating or ID-based license type however the answer would be yes as they do not have this same restriction, but you will need to follow the steps to apply the license on both the host and VM separately.

4 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey KarelHusa,

Oooh....good question! To be honest i dont know the answer, perhaps one of the Smartbear people (@yimy) could help, but in the meantime i'll try and answer using logic.

Assuming that youre talking about fixed term licenses, i think the answer is "no".

Fixed term licenses are "per machine, per user".

So! 2 different users on same machine with same ReadyAPI instance would need 2 licenses.

Now ok.. the above doesnt preclude a single user running two ReadyAPI instances, 1 on host OS and 1 on VM, however i think "per machine" equates to operating "system/ReadyAPI instance" combination. Also, i think the "per user" would be a problem too, cos despite if the same user and username are used on host OS and VM....the user is considered a different user.

Hence the reason i think the answers "no".

Perhaps the Smartbear people will know better?

Cheers,

Rich
  • Hello, richie is correct here. For a fixed license the answer would be no. The license is bound to a specific user account and cannot be used on other accounts even if they are on the same machine.

For a Floating or ID-based license type however the answer would be yes as they do not have this same restriction, but you will need to follow the steps to apply the license on both the host and VM separately.

KarelHusa
      Champion Level 3

WesleyN ,

I just moved to ID-based license (i.e. Fixed User) and now can switch between the host and guest VM.

Maybe more detailed clarification of license types in documentation would help - floating and two types of fixed (file-based machine license and id-based user license). Also the Smartbear store does not offer id-based licensing yet.

Best regards,

Karel